• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accidentally cut hay wastage in half!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Finx and Tango have 2 hanging baskets above their litter trays that I usually fill to the brim with hay. Every day they pull lots of it down and hop/toilet all over it, so I end up chucking it when I clean the trays each evening.

Today, I was running late for work and instead of actually getting in the hutch in order to reach the hay racks I just plonked a huge mound of hay in the middle of the hutch, topped up the water and ran for the bus.

Just cleaned them out, 90% of the hay had been eaten, and 100% of bunny pee was still in the trays! They always poo around the hutch anyway, so that's fine and easily swept. I may have accidentally increased hay munching and reduced waste in one go :thumb: I'm doing an experiment, I've just built a massive wall of hay in front of the clean trays and will see if there's any mess tomorrow.

I used to use the half hanging baskets but ditched them because mine prefer eating from the floor I guess it is more natural for them.

My two wee and poop if I leave a pile on the floor... I'd like to leave the bail un-covered but there's just too much mess!

My buns won't eat it if it's in a rack, they like it in a nice big pile! Sadly Nibbles does poop on his occasionally.

I never had a problem with mine eating hay off the floor but I don't think there's been a significant drop now I've put it up in the hay racks. Even when they get better I don't think I'll ever go back to putting it on the floor as there will always be an infection risk.

Back