• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bring inside?

Georgi

Young Bun
One of my bunnies, Buzz, is quite thin at the moment, he weighed 1.62kg at the vets last week, he should ideally be around 1.9kg. He's had a blood test which has come back as normal, the vet suspects hepatic coccidiosis and we are waiting on the results of a faecal sample, which should hopefully come back this week. I've increased his pellet intake to try and get some weight back on him while we wait for a diagnosis but I'm a bit concerned that with the weather getting colder and his lack of body fat he's going to get cold overnight.
He is bonded so will have another bun to snuggle up to, I will also be insulating their hutch with multiple layers of bubblewrap and tarp, they'll have lots of bedding and I have a snuggle safe as well... But I'm not sure if it's enough, ideally I would like to keep them outside as I will be going home for at least a month over Christmas (I'm a student) and my Dad is allergic to them and won't be best impressed. Buzz's wife Cello is also still quite nervy around people, she's improved enormously since I got her but it still has to be on her terms! If necessary I will obviously bring them in and will just have to hope that if they're kept in my room it won't cause my Dad too many issues!

So basically my question is do you think I should bring them in or will they be ok outside? Also if they do need to be brought in, when is the latest I could do this? (bearing in mind I live in a student house so we don't put the heating on until absolutely necessary!) The temp forecast round here for up to this weekend has highs of 15 and lows of 5.

Thanks!

Is he safe to be left outside. If not, especially when you are away for a month, I think he would be safer indoors.

Oh no sorry I'm not leaving them for a month, they'll be coming home with me either way, I have 2 outdoor setups for them, one at home and one at uni so he would be safe from predators etc outside, it's just the cold I'm concerned about with him being underweight at the moment. :?

So if he is going to be outdoors over Christmas he should stay outdoors. It isn't all that cold at the mo.

I think I'd give him another few weeks to see if he can get some chunk on him, and if he doesn't then move him inside and hopefully it'll help him get some weight on once he's not using energy to keep warm.

If it helps, I took Oscar on because after he'd had lots of treatment he wasn't flourishing and was skinny and miserable. I was able to bring him inside for the winter, and he blossomed as he didn't have to battle the cold along with all his other ailments.

I hope your boy improves soon.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing but just wanted to get some other opinions on it as well. I think if his faecal test comes back as negative I will probably move them inside as it will then be a bit of a fishing expedition to find out what's wrong and could take a while :?

Glad to hear that Oscar improved, hopefully Buzz will too, he's certainly enjoying all the extra food and fuss! :lol:

Back