• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decisions, decisions... Update post 23

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone else find it almost impossible to decide which hay to choose when ordering from your buns? :oops::roll:

The chances are very high that his lordship will disapprove, so I really don't know why I get myself into such a flap. I have cleared my shopping cart twice already this afternoon, and gone back to the beginning.

Last edited:
Do you know if he prefers the thick stemmed or the coarser type? :?

He's erratic. :roll: For a while he liked orchard grass and green oat, but he went right off green oat, and is not so fussed for his orchard grass. He eats Morrisons bedding hay, which is meadow hay, but only in his basin. I want him to eat hay as a food, not just a pastime when he is toileting.

Danelion Delight is a favourite, i know it isn't hay but may be worth adding to the list.

Oat and wheat, Barley and Burns Green Oat are favourites. They also loved the Oxbow Brome hay which looked and felt nasty, i haven't see that for ages though. The Bunny Nature Alpine was good too :thumb:

Last edited:
I will look into Bunny Nature Alpine. I think he may have had it before and shown an interest. I didn't see it when I was browsing on Hay Experts, but I haven't got used to their new website yet.

Olive dearest is only fond of the Burgess excel dandelion and Herbage stuff..:roll::lol:

That's really interesting. Spenser's previous owner recommended this, but he wouldn't touch it with me. He isn't quite as fussy now, so perhaps I should give it another go. Have your buns also had the Burgess fresh forage?

Have you ever tried readigrass instead? Its very green, smells delicious and bunnies usually go mad for it. It will provide as much calcium, fibre and tooth wear as hay.

erm no, as it has to be timothy with my rabbits :lol: i do get meadow hay (dust extracted) which i put in litter trays mornng, then their top up for rest of day is timothy hay, and if i try and trick them then they are not impressed and sit and refuse the meadow hay :lol:

Susie have you just tried him on regular farm hay? Mine prefer that over all the posh hays iv bought :roll:

He had some farm hay kindly given by aliduncan, but he didn't seem to realise it was for eating. He spent a great deal of time rearranging and playing with it 9he was a hutch bunny at the time). Interestingly, he was living on a farm before he came to me, so was probably used to farm hay.

Have you ever tried readigrass instead? Its very green, smells delicious and bunnies usually go mad for it. It will provide as much calcium, fibre and tooth wear as hay.

Yes, he likes this but hasn't had it for a while. Is it better than Burgess fresh forage, which also seems to be dried grass?

erm no, as it has to be timothy with my rabbits :lol: i do get meadow hay (dust extracted) which i put in litter trays mornng, then their top up for rest of day is timothy hay, and if i try and trick them then they are not impressed and sit and refuse the meadow hay :lol:

Spenser has never liked any brand of timothy hay, not even the really expensive Alfafa King variety. :roll:

My lot tend to have clear ideas as to what they prefer. I usually order Orchard Grass, Burns Oat Hay, Welsh Hay and sometimes Oxbow Timothy. They have such expensive taste. :roll:

Mine were given something with bark in it, will go and check the packet for you later, mine seem to love it :wave:

Yes, he likes this but hasn't had it for a while. Is it better than Burgess fresh forage, which also seems to be dried grass?

Much better, its somehow greener and more pungent in a nice way. I buy it for the buns to graze on outside and they spend hours doing just that.

Its called birch bark herbage :wave:

That's interesting thanks. I will try that with my next order. I have a feeling he has had it before, along with the camomile version, and din't care for it. His eating is so much better now though that I am willing to give anything another try.

Back