• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Bunnies: smell/mess

Beansprout

Warren Scout
My Buns are currently living in my 12x16ft shed. I'd like to spend more time with them (5 mins in the morning and 15 in the evening when I get home from work isn't really enough to forfil my bunnieflufffun quota for each day) and plus it's getting colder blahblalgg. They poo everywhere. There is hay everywhere.

If, hypothetically, if I were to bring them inside, how would I control the pooping and general mess of hay? I could only let them live upstairs, but that's not much room compared to what they have now. And my mum was always concerned with the smell of the litter trays. (when I first got them I did have them indoors for a while, and apprently my room stank... I didn't notice of course)

I assume if I had them upstairs I'd still have to take them outside now and again?

I think the simplest solution is to make more time to hang with my buns!

Mine are indoors and yes there is a bit of mess. When they jump out of the litter trays sometimes a couple of poops fly out too and the hay gets stuck to them and gets spread around a bit. But it's ok. I'm not overly houseproud or anything!

As for smell. I don't notice any other than the smell of hay. I use litter trays with newspaper and hay and change every other day.

Both things though are influenced by them being neutered. Bunnies which aren't neutered tend to have a hormonal smell to them and unneutered bunnies tend to mark everywhere with poops and spray urine.

Mine only go outside when it's warm. You don't want to expose them to extremes in temperature or temperature fluctuations so once they are in they need to stay in unless the temp indoors is similar to that outdoors ie. in summer. If you bring them in now they need to stay indoors until it is warmer i.e. sort of around April time.

Back