• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on a spur & runny eye please

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Alice has been to the vets twice in the last few weeks for a runny eye.
On the 1st visit the vet checked her teeth and said they were fine so flushed her tear duct and gave her some eye drops.
She seemed better for about a week but then her eye became runny again.
I took her back to the vets on Sunday and saw a different vet, she said that she had a very very tiny spur but it wasnt causing the runny eye as it was so small and on the opposite side. All she said about it was that it would need looking at in the future.
She gave her an antibiotic injection and put her back on the eye drops, and she is due another antibiotic injection today (Its called engemycin)

I just want to know really what I should be asking when going back today!
She still has a runny eye so are the eye drops and injections doing anything?
And should the spur be treated now?
I dont really know what to do, they werent very helpful, had to go to a different vet as it was on a Sunday, only taking her back there so she can get her 2nd antibiotic injection.
I need help please :(

I suspect that the two are actually related. She is probably chewing more on the runny eye side than the side where the spur is. The tooth roots on the runny eye side may now be elongated and therefore pressing on the nasolacrimal duct. This then causes the runny eye.

I would discuss having a GA/Dental/Skull radiographs. As she is a Nethie then Dental issues are very likely, especially involving tooth root elongation.

Thank you :D
Have cancelled the appointment this evening with the vet I'm not really happy with and going to take her in to my usual vets tomorrow morning and ask them to look further into dental issues.

Back