• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protecting new hutch

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Peters new Happy hutch company hutch is being delivered today, Very excited :lol::lol:

Is there anything I can do to protect the hutch? We are planning on using some bunny safe wood protector and also covering the hutch in old carpet and a tarpaulin. Is there anything else that would help to look after the hutch?

I'm also wondering about covering the floor inside? I've seen some lino squares in the pound shop, if I nailed these in would they be OK? I currently put a thick layer of newspaper and hay (also straw in bedroom) but I'm wondering whether also having a layer of lino would help? Also would it help a little with insulation?

Thanks!

Sounds good with the tarpauling and things :)

You can just use lino, mine have lino and then their hay is in their litter tray and hay racks. If you can get a storage box and just have hay in there and in toilet roll tubes and things rather than filling the whole hutch it might help with his litter training:) when he is litter trained you could have the litter tray in the bedroom and ditch the straw. Straw is great and everything but hay would be better for eating while snuggling :) mine just ignored their bedroom when they had straw, if they did go in there they would just dig it out:roll:

A carpet/blanket/old quilt with tarpauling over the hutch will be good insulation on its own :thumb:

Sounds good with the tarpauling and things :)

You can just use lino, mine have lino and then their hay is in their litter tray and hay racks. If you can get a storage box and just have hay in there and in toilet roll tubes and things rather than filling the whole hutch it might help with his litter training:) when he is litter trained you could have the litter tray in the bedroom and ditch the straw. Straw is great and everything but hay would be better for eating while snuggling :) mine just ignored their bedroom when they had straw, if they did go in there they would just dig it out:roll:

A carpet/blanket/old quilt with tarpauling over the hutch will be good insulation on its own :thumb:

Fab advice as always Aly&Poppy :D

Getting excited waiting for new hutch to arrive now :lol:

Couple of main points I would advise after trial and error:

Paint inside walls with bunny safe paint (i use Cuprinol garden shades) and it looks nicer but also makes wiping down the walls much easier as there is a better ad smoother surface.

I put sheet vinyl down, tried tiles but hated them as they don't stick down well and stuff gets caught in the gaps. I stick my vinyl down with glue or carpet tape and then seal the edges with silicone sealant - means no wee or hay or food or poos can get down the sides and rot, which could ultimately destroy your hutch if stuff is stuck down the edge making the wood rot!! Makes cleaning so easy, and if smoothed down with a finger it looks really neat and is impossible for bunnies to get hold of (not that mine even try)

Back