• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter advice needed please

hi

yeah my buns can access the avairy through a cat flap that i have on the shed, this means the shed stays toasty and the buns can choose where they want to be. :D

yeah my buns can access the avairy through a cat flap that i have on the shed, this means the shed stays toasty and the buns can choose where they want to be. :D

That sounds so nice!

My aviary dwelling bunny is always shut in at night for safety reasons but I wouldn't keep her in for weather reasons.

I wouldn't although a lot depends on your rabbits. A rabbit is likely to sit out on cold wet concrete not realising it might not be good for it. Mine are all in the dry at night.

no ifs its really cold and snowy during the day they stay in the shed
and on a night its frezzing so they come in every night

only go out of ok and nice days

My shed gets really cold - when I work in there I need a down jacket and a heater! I'm worried about my buns, but I think they'll be ok because I have a couple of those wheat heat things I can stick in there. I'm not looking forward to trotting down there on the snowy icy mornings! At least there'll be no slugs around...

Mine have 24hr access. Rabbits are most active at dusk and dawn so it makes sense that they can access the run at these times. Rabbits can handle the cold really well if provided with a warm dry spot to retreat to when needed. I do however cover the sides of my aviary so the inside stays dry. :)

I wouldn't although a lot depends on your rabbits. A rabbit is likely to sit out on cold wet concrete not realising it might not be good for it. Mine are all in the dry at night.

I provide little chairs with folded towels for sitting on and there are hay filled litter trays, my aviary has a corrolux roof so in the main stars dry underfoot.

My buns live inside an avairy with a hutch as a base. The sides are coverd with plastic sheeting to keep the elements out but ventilation is important to prevent condensation on very cold days.

Yes mine have 24/7 access, I have one of those bendy tunnels between the shed and the aviary (all inside the aviary so perfectly safe) which means that the wind doesn't howl straight inside the shed. The shed has various boxes and hideyholes so there are lots of places to get snug and warm, but they often choose to sit outside whatever the weather (the aviary has a roof). I'm not fussed about the dangers of leaving them with run access overnight as I take the view that if it's not safe enough for night time access, then it's not safe enough for day time either.

My shed gets really cold - when I work in there I need a down jacket and a heater! I'm worried about my buns, but I think they'll be ok because I have a couple of those wheat heat things I can stick in there. I'm not looking forward to trotting down there on the snowy icy mornings! At least there'll be no slugs around...

Do you put the wheat bags in with the bunnies? Not sure they are really safe for buns.

Do any of you worry about the buns not knowing when they need to get warm? I've seen a few people post that their rabbits will sit out for hours in rain/snow and that would really scare me!

Yes mine have 24/7 access, I have one of those bendy tunnels between the shed and the aviary (all inside the aviary so perfectly safe) which means that the wind doesn't howl straight inside the shed. The shed has various boxes and hideyholes so there are lots of places to get snug and warm, but they often choose to sit outside whatever the weather (the aviary has a roof). I'm not fussed about the dangers of leaving them with run access overnight as I take the view that if it's not safe enough for night time access, then it's not safe enough for day time either.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: exactly the same for mine too. 24/7 access to the whole kennel and run. The kennel end is heated in winter and entrances and exits are offset so no direct blast of air blowing through it (just sufficient for ventilation). I notice the buns do go inside if it's really wet and windy but prefer to sit outside when it's bitterly cold :shock::roll:. They have a brain and I leave them to decide where they would rather be. If they're cold, they'll go in.

Back