• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbits having her teeth out :-(

My rabbits front teeth have to be removed :( because she has an over bite and she's not wearing them down herself! She eats hay constantly all day but it's not helped however her sister is fine. Anyone experienced this with their rabbits? Also her sister will be on her own all day when she has the op as I have to work but I have a couple of days off after to keep a close eye on her. Any advice on recovery? They are house rabbits and roam the house and go outside everyday too :)

Hay will wear her molars down but not her front teeth and if they're mallocluded (not meeting up). Several folk on here have had rabbits front teeth removed and they do just fine but will be able to advise you on feeding etc. Our rabbit has had molars removed and her husbun goes with her to the vets.
Afterwards she will probably be a bit quiet and will need pain relief but Scarlet usually bounces back quite quickly. If they are indoor buns it's probably about the time of year when they shouldn't play outside because changes in temperature can make them ill. Your vet should also tell you that buns can't regulate their body temperature after an aneasthetic so you need to keep her indoors and keep her not too hot and not too cold for 48 hours.
I'm sure she'll be fine so try not to worry.

We had a bun with that!

First few days, keep her eating, they will be very very sore, lots of mushed up pellets and baby food, once they are healed they eat a normal diet as long as they can get the food to their molars so all veggies have to be chopped up into little pieces or strips.

Jem was a house bun so I don't know how they cope with grass, I assume that it is tricky for them as they won't be able to bite through the strands, you may have to hand cut some grass, but other than that you can't really tell normally! :wave:

My rabbits front teeth have to be removed :( because she has an over bite and she's not wearing them down herself! She eats hay constantly all day but it's not helped however her sister is fine. Anyone experienced this with their rabbits? Also her sister will be on her own all day when she has the op as I have to work but I have a couple of days off after to keep a close eye on her. Any advice on recovery? They are house rabbits and roam the house and go outside everyday too :)

I know how tyou feel, Nibbles will have to have his removed due to an injury. He coped OK with the top set missing, just wondering how he'll do without both.

Back