• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tips for indoor bunny keeping and training needed please

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
I posted on here the other day about putting my old bunny with a baby bunny, well since then we have tried and its a serious no no, they have been living near each other for the last week, baby is in a run and old boy has the run of the area around it , since being there he has tried to get to her through the cage which I assumed was him trying to sniff and be nice to her, I let them out together tonight in a neutral place and with me supervising as soon as I put baby down ol boy starts attacking her and growling and I mean proper going for her, not trying to hump her just biting her!, poor baby was scared stiff and ran away with ol boy in hot pursuit and me trying to split them up!
I dont think I want to try them together again as I dont want him hurting her so we have decided to bring baby in if only for the winter as she so small I dont think she would survive on her own outside when it gets really cold. So what tips does anyone have on keeping a house rabbit? I have to admit I am of the impression buns are better outside as they have lovely thick coats and live outside in the wild but baby only has a thin coat. sorry waffling again,,, we have plastic around the wires as the cat likes to chew them! she has a litter tray in with her and mum and seems to be using it, what worries me is letting her out for the first time and being able to get her to either hop back in her cage or her letting me pick her up to put her away, she gets picked up and cuddeld daily so is getting used to it but dosent always stay still when my hand gets near!
any tips welcome please

Why not keep baby (if female) with Mum? How old is baby and if she comes inside, will the cat pester her?

Why not keep baby (if female) with Mum? How old is baby and if she comes inside, will the cat pester her?

Mum is being bonded with my other male rabbit, I adopted mum from an unwated home and had to take baby too as the owner wouldnt just let one go plus I felt sorry for baby :oops:
mum and male are getting on fine, baby is about 12 weeks old and the cat couldnt care less, she and the dog are so used to bunnys being around they just ignore them, in the summer whent he back doors open our male would hop inside and lay on the carpet next to the dog and the cat, it looks quite funny really.

Possibly the boy attacked her because she is still a baby, as they do that. I hope she is ok. She could have stayed with Mum for a while longer rather than her being on her own and winter coming on. I suppose it's too late now. Sorry, I have no tips for house rabbits except no-one should smoke near her and you have to rabbit-proof the room.

Back