• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long does myxomatosis continue to get worse for? I really need some advice please

My poor little mopsie has got myxomatosis. Both of my other rabbits have been put to sleep in the last few weeks, but she had the vaccination about a week before she began showing symptoms, so the vet thinks she may have some immunity. She was also a rescue bunny, so unsure of past vaccinations.

I know they should all have been vaccinated, now I just blame myself for letting them down.

But anyway, mopsies eyes looked slightly red last Monday (I think), by Tuesday they were slightly swollen, by Wednesday a little bit more swollen. I took her to the vet last Wednesday expecting her to be put to sleep, but the vet was hopeful that she may have some immunity, so suggested we give her metacam and wait until after the weekend to see how she got on.

She continued to get worse, although still eating lots, getting up to use her litter tray and seeming to enjoy having her nose stroked still. I took her to the vet again yesterday, once more expecting her to be put to sleep because as well as her eyes etc being a lot worse, she was also snuffly when breathing. But the vet was surprised she was still eating and is still quite perky, and when she was weighed she hadn't lost any weight at all. So she suggested carrying on for a few more days, with baytril as well as the metacam to stop any infections.

So I'm still doing what I can for her, but I can't help feeling that she is suffering. She is still eating and eating (I think she appreciates the all you can eat buffet I have been laying out in front of where she likes to sit!) .the vet suggested a steamy room to try and ease her breathing but it didn't seem to help. Apart from that I have got no idea what I could do to help her.

Does anyone know how long before things stop getting worse and start improving? And does anyone have any advice as to general care for her? And Most importantly, how do I know when to stop? I have made it clear to the vets I don't want her to suffer, but they really think its worth keeping going at the moment. And of course I would love to be able to get her through this. I'm going to ring the vets again in the morning and see what they say, but I am hoping some of you may be able to help?

I would go along with what the vet advises because she might pull through. It's not going to be easy for you. I know I've been there. Good luck with her.

You might like to have a look at my thread - I lost my second rabbit after 21 days. They were both unvaccinated but the vaccine takes 2 or 3 weeks to become effective so I would assume it will provide little to no immunity after 1 week.

With ours our vet had said that if they last 3 weeks after initial symptoms show then they stand a reasonable chance of recovery. This is also backed up by ValleyForges post here where he says the disease itself has basically run its cours in about 20 days and rabbits who are not blind can be prepared for release (this is in wildies though who can have some natural immunity after decades of myxi in the wild - our pet rabbits have not developed any of this immunity so his comments are probably not 100% applicable). This says the disease is Usually fatal at the day 8 - 15 stage so again shows survival for 3 weeks is a good sign. This gives a day by day progression of the disease. From looking after Harry I would say that in the last few days he was not developing any more myxoma and that some were starting to darken off which seems to fit in with the above.

The key problems are preventing secondary infection, other injuries and keeping them eating. Whilst she is eating by herself try to keep her going as much as possible as this may well help later on - Harry stopped eating by himself early on and so spent a long time being syringe fed and was loosing weight on this type of diet. As she is on antibiotics she probably needs pro- and pre-biotics to try and keep the digestion going well. I used Pro-Lapis and Pro-C on our two. Something I did discover is that the disease reduces blood circulation in the extremities and especially the skin - Harry ripped his foot very badly (I believe it was with the claws on his other foot when he was being given medicine) and at one point it looked as though that was going to be untreatable. We then started putting children's 100% cotton socks on him and holding them on loosely with micropore tape. This did prevent him doing more damage but they do need changing regularly (at least 2 -3 times per day or whenever they get wet).

One thing is the sheer amount of time required to try and treat a rabbit that isn't eating. The last two weeks has been essentially a full time job either feeding, cleaning or researching what to
do next. If she survives the recovery can take a long time - This is a good article where the recovery took 9 weeks.

Good luck with treating this horrible disease - all my best wishes to you and hope she stays strong and recovers.

Dave

Back