• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extraction of front teeth

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone's buns had their front teeth extracted?

Nibbles snapped his front teeth off about 8 weeks ago. They've grown back OK but they are growing behind the bottom set and the vet has recommended having both sets removed. At the rate his bottom teeth have been growing we're looking at having them burred every 2-3 weeks, and I'm not sure it'd be fair to Nibbles.

My questions really are how did your bun cope with no front teeth? Did they have any subsequent dental problems?

I did ask about having them extracted while he was being neutered (which I was hoping this month). Would it be dangerous to have both done at the same time or am I better off waiting?

And finally, how much did you pay? I'm currently awaiting a quote but just wanted to get a rough idea.

Both buns also have be re-vaccinated as they had the single jabs, and obviously they have recommended 'topping up' to minimise risk of myxo. :(

Hi

Domino had his front teeth removed last month,top and bottom. It wasnt something I was expecting the vet to suggest and I was almost in shock for about 24 hours afterwards!! However, Domino has coped with it really well. I was really pleased at the recovery he made and now quickly he went back to eating almost normally. He has to have his food chopped up, but he was eating his pellets as normal almost 24 hours later and even still tries to graze on grass as normal, although Im not sure how successful he is with this, but I cut him grass twice a day anyway.

Im sure your bunny will be fine, just as Domino was. I know teeth removal seems drastic, thats exactly how I felt when the vet recommended it, but Im really pleased with how well Domino has adjusted. Good luck to your bunny

Bunnies cope well without incisors and it costs about the same as a spay I think. My vet wouldn't do a spay at the same time, but it might be different for a boy. You will have to check with the vet.

Hi

Domino had his front teeth removed last month,top and bottom. It wasnt something I was expecting the vet to suggest and I was almost in shock for about 24 hours afterwards!! However, Domino has coped with it really well. I was really pleased at the recovery he made and now quickly he went back to eating almost normally. He has to have his food chopped up, but he was eating his pellets as normal almost 24 hours later and even still tries to graze on grass as normal, although Im not sure how successful he is with this, but I cut him grass twice a day anyway.

Im sure your bunny will be fine, just as Domino was. I know teeth removal seems drastic, thats exactly how I felt when the vet recommended it, but Im really pleased with how well Domino has adjusted. Good luck to your bunny

Thanks :D to be honest I was kind of expecting it, the vet said I could carry on having the teeth burred but I don't want to make life more difficult for Nibbles than it has to be, he loves being able to eat :lol:

Good to know that Domino recovered quickly! I'd feel nervous about an overnight stay :shock:

Bunnies cope well without incisors and it costs about the same as a spay I think. My vet wouldn't do a spay at the same time, but it might be different for a boy. You will have to check with the vet.

Thanks :) I did ask, they said they could probably start the extraction but they may not have enough time to do the castration and the extraction due to the amount of time they're under due the castration.. I suppose that's going to be up to us to decide if it's worth trying or not :?

Back