• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does your work/job view your rabbits??

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Or any other pet you have??
While bonding my 2, I was allowed to take mine in, which I did.

Going on from a sick bunny thread, I would LIE through my teeth, or even make a deal to be allowed to take my pet to the vets or pop home to treat.

What are your views and experiences??

My job is very important to me - so if I ever had a sick rabbit I would have to ask the vets to admit them....luckily I've found a really good vet near me to go in an emergency in the morning

Bonding would be done over the weekend and in evenings etc...

I am lucky to have some rabbit friends in the same area as me, so someone can generally help if needs be, i have never needed to call on their services, but had a few close calls.

I'm very lucky that my job is extremely flexible, so as long as I do the work and don't miss any meetings, I can within reason come and go when I need to. For routine stuff I try and get the last appointment or a weekend appointment (my vets is open all day sat and sun) but when things crop up, I will just work from home to work around appointment times, and they are fine with that - I'm not claiming the time, I'm doing it in my lunch break...albeit that my lunch break might be at 11am or 3pm! I do occasionally put them in my work calendar as GP appointments though :lol::lol::oops:

I@m quite lucky, the boss knows how much my buns mean to me and i'm never off sick or have to take time off because of kids so if i say i NEED to take the buns to the vets they know it's an emegency and i'll be going anyway regardless :lol:

Luckily, touch wood, ive not needed any time off, apart from at the start of the year Tia randomly stopped eating, i'd never had to deal with it, and everything i googled said she'd only live for 8 hours, well i was sat at work seriously being sick from crying so much, my boss said to me 'just get a new one' which i just cried more at and said to him they're all ive got... luckily hubby works here too, and he said to boss we need to pop home for her to check (id done noooo work all day i was so upset).
when tia hurt her leg, we went home at lunch time to take her to the vet.

I honestly dont konw what they'd do if there was anything seriously wrong, the other boss is a animal lover and a veggie so i think he'd understand. or i'd just bring them in, theres only the four of us here

Touch wood, have not had to take time off yet - although I did work from home when Bobo was neutered. Not sure my boss would understand. To be honest - I would probably tell a fib or two if I had to take time off. My work have given me loads of time off for a medical condition I have - so would have to be careful not to push it too far.

They are honestly fine. Heck I got compassionate leave for 2 days when we lost Lola and have had a fair bit of time off work..paid for the bunnies.

My work would not allow me to have the day off if the rabbits were ill. It costs them £250 for every day I have off t get supply in to replace me so they would not be happy.

I always admit them if they're poorly and I need to go to work, Dylan used to spend the odd day at the vet when I can't care for him as I'm at work.

I am incredibly lucky in that regard. If I need to drop something to go to the vets I don't even have to ask, I just tell my boss, go and it's fine. It's one of the reasons I stay in my job you can't negotiate benefits like that, though having said that, a lady I used to work with was married to a sheep farmer and she had it in her contract that she could be off whenever needed during lambing.

I work at an entertainment store and I've been able to keep my rabbits in the back room once. It was when I was bringing them home, I didn't have time to go home before work so they let me put the buns in the back room. Let me check on them when we weren't busy too. Everyone fussed over them as well.

Where I was working they were amazing- flexible hours to suit what my bunny needs were, AND the ability to take them into work. Sucks I'm not there anymore.

I work in the pet industry so it'd be pretty awful if they didn't understand. In the past I have said I need to go the vets and I'll be in straight after.

It'd depend what I had on. Sometimes I'd have the flexibility to work from home. Usually I could have flexible starts/finishes/lunchtimes. Otherwise I might have to admit them, but it'd be a last resort.

They think I'm a bit nuts with them I think, but I'm way more reliable than anyone else in my team (only one without kids!) so they can't really say anything. Last time they asked me to go away overnight, they even asked if OH was away and offered to pick up rabbit boarding fees if necessary!

I would either leave them at the vets or take them to my place of work and have them in the staff room. My work would be fine with that. I work at a bank.

When one of the guineas were ill years ago my mum took them to her work (also a bank) so that she could administer medicine.:D

I'm quite lucky in that my working hours are flexible and cover is easily arranged. They would allow me time off to go the vets etc.
I wouldn't take a bun to work with me though, though they probably wouldn't mind and would find it quite funny having a bun sat there in the office, the bun would be scared stiff so I'd rather not!

I wouldnt dream of taking one of the buns to work with me as I wouldnt be concentrating on my wor and the buns would be scared. If they are ill on a work day I can either go home at lunch to check or admit the to them vets

where I work I don't dare even mention my bunnies! Did it once when one was a bit under the weather, and just had to listen all day to my boss's husband describing all the different ways he could ....... you know!

At my previous job, I was refused many times to have time off to care for a pet, or swap shifts for a vet visit. When my old cat was put to sleep, i was utterly heartbroken, had to go to work the next day and was told pets die, we just have to get on with it. The next day I was late in due to having to pull over to cry, and I was put through for disciplinary. This was a pet shop.

I love the animal care industry..... NOT!!!

Back