• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sid's slipped disc UD 10th Oct

Bink

Mama Doe
[SUB]
[/SUB]My gorgeous Sid seems to have limited use of his hind legs today. Off to vets 11.30. So sad to see him stumbling and dragging himself around :-( if anyone could think of him today I would really appreciate it xx

Last edited:
Hello all,

Vet said that she suspects it's EC. Sid is having an x-ray to elimate any bony damage/masses and having blood taken (apparently there is a new EC test that shows whether it is active in the body as opposed to whether it is present?).

Aside from that we will treat with the usual EC meds from the sounds of things.

Thank you all for your vibes. Lovely fella Sid is, my big squishy teddy bear bunny, so patient and gentle, never has been one for amateur dramatics, just getting on and nomming his way through life, you wouldn't have known there was anything wrong until he started trying to move.

Will let you know the outcome of various tests xx

So the vet has called with the outcome of Sid's x-rays:

She said he had some changes on his spine that she wasn't expecting to see, in laymans terms he has a slipped disc - two of his vertebrae are touching each other, and I'm sure she said that the relevent cushioning normally between the two discs is bulging out of place.

In a couple of hours, when satisfied that he has recovered OK from the sedation we can pick him and Pops up with a short course of metacam and then bring him back early next week to "discuss options".

Wish I had asked in brief what the options were. She said that we were not looking at spinal surgery (relief!) but I do wonder what she can possibly mean.

Off now to have a search around the forum for other experiences of this! Poor old Sid, isn't having a slipped disc supposed to be hugely painful?

Thanks all,

Steph xx

One of our bunnies slipped a disc during a seizure and recovered with four Weeks cage rest although she now has arthritis in her spine. Might be worth getting in touch with Becky 86.as she had Roxy before us when it happened x

Oh dear, that doesn't sound very good at all. :cry: rather bleak in fact, when you consider the vet already ruled out surgery to me on the phone.

Back