• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heavy moult/blue ears UPDATE: post 24 encouragement please?

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Mimzy has been going through almost perpetual moulting for a few years now. Mostly his saddle comes off but lately he's had possible mite trouble so has been on a regular selamectin dose each month. At first it seemed to be improving the overall condition of his fur. Now it's all changing.
Last night I was getting him ready for bed and fur was coming off in tufts. So much so that he is nearly bald along his haunches and his 'skirt' is coming away from his bum. This has gone on for days now. He looks awful to be sure but the ease of how most of the fur comes away worried me because his gut isn't doing great again and I don't want him swallowing it. Needless to say he's not been appreciating 'mum bun' yanking his fluff out. I must appear to him to be a giant bully rabbit. :cry:
The alarming moment came when I got to his ears: the inner pinna has turned blue! They aren't cold but not warm either. I can get them to pink up with a little rubbing which usually sets him down the road to a furious wash. However there's always some blue color down the inside center...only the edges turn pink. But tonight they are all blue again. Nowhere else in his mucous membranes or lips or even where the backs of his ears meet his head do I see this blue color. His skin overall is also pink...so not cyanosis in my opinion. I would almost say that the months of meclazine tablets (which are blue) have adversely colored the skin of his ears but then I should be seeing this discoloration elsewhere and I'm not. Like colloidal silver, when overused, can turn a person's skin green.
I am very disturbed by this. The house is warm. There's a freeze bottle in his pen at all times because he tends to overheat. But I don't know if it is the cause because he's always got one in and it's never caused this before.

Has anyone any experience with anything like this? I know a bunny's ears are their cooling mechanism but he shows no sign of being either too cold or too hot. He isn't enjoying his hay but that doesn't surprise me, he's not a big hay eater. He's also been eating willow twigs and leaves each day, still has greens: leafy lettuce, carrot tops and shredded carrot (minimal) and italian parsley, plus his 0.25 ml metacam twice a day and 0.1 ml metaclopromide twice a day. It's been over a week now that we stopped the meclazine.
He seems to breathe just fine. No raspy or labored sounds, although it'll pick up the pace whenever I'm grooming him because he gets so agitated.
I have no stethoscope to hear his heart. Not sure I'd know what to listen for but my only other thought is some kind of cardiovascular involvement. :(

Does anyone know what's wrong with his ears? He's still tilted but otherwise acting normal. Could something be cutting off the circulation?
One of the things my good vet warned me about before she left was that his headtilt could be due to a tumor...now I'm afraid she might be right. :(

Or perhaps a thymoma? I would think that would affect breathing though...not ears. We'd ruled it out a few years ago but I suppose that could've changed.

I dread taking him in thirty miles with snow coming. Mostly because I fear he won't make it if he getting s too stressed. :cry: If this is some kind of final stage I'd rather he go peacefully at home.

Getting carried away though...can someone please ease my mind here?
Many thanks. xx

Last edited:
Just adding a pic of Mimzy's shed line. :(
Please excuse the messies. Took this just before cleanup.
51A0B012-orig.jpg

Still trying to get one of his ears. Will post a.s.a.p.

The moult line looks normal, I have a few like that at the moment. You can google "blue ears" as I have just done and it may be a circulatory problem. How old is your bunny?

Here are some shots of his ears last night and this morning.:
E1835C39-orig.jpg

CD65A572-orig.jpg

Today his ears felt warmer and they were more a normal color. Mimzy is approximately 6 years old and has had head tilt for four months.

Ears are blue again tonight and those binkies I raved about last week are hardly wee hops now to get away from me when I put my hand down to check on him. :(

Can't anyone please help? I've been reading about heart disease and while I don't see any obvious signs as described I have a bad feeling. :cry:

Update for this morning, ears more a normal color again with reddish patches (scratching?) and very warm. His temperature seems to fluctuate wildly in either direction. Ears will go really cold one hour and be almost hot the next.
I'm baffled. He was doing mini laps this a.m. and periscoping like crazy for a fuss. He would've escaped his hospital box had I not been there to stop it. And yet after being placed in his xpen all he seems to do is nap. :?
I'm confused. Obviously a vet visit is in order as soon as possible but I don't want to spend the entire time up to it wildly speculating and worrying.
He seems happy while active. No outward signs of distress when at rest. Just plugging along as he has been...but...those ears! >_<
Sorry to run on about it. :(

It could be a blood circulatory/heart problem, but really it is impossible to say from just seeing photos. I know it is hard not to, but try not to start looking at 'worst case scenarios' until the Vet has examined him. I know from experience that worrying about 'what ifs' just drains all our coping resources, which does not help the Rabbit at all. But as I said, I certainly understand how the mind goes into overdrive when a new symptom develops and we dont know what is causing it.

Thank you Jane. You are absolutely right. :)
I had all but written him off tonight...certain he is suffering from something I can't bring him back from. But after noodling this some more and getting what I call a 'whisper from God'...I got a prompting to have my daughter google side effects of prolonged metaclopromide use in rabbits on her iPad.

Instead we got EVERY ONE OF HIS SYMPTOMS including the blue tint to the skin from overuse of metaclopromide IN HUMANS. It will even mimic symptoms of cardiomyopathy/CHF and...get this...HAIR LOSS!

I'm not just stunned...I'm furious. My vet has never once mentioned that there may be a problem with Mimzy being on daily metaclopromide for the last FOUR MONTHS.

Pardon all my caps...but I'm :censored: beyond belief.

I call first thing to get a schedule for weaning him off this drug before it kills him. It's not even approved or properly tested by the FDA for safety or effectiveness. It's only to be used for a few days to weeks. No one said a word anytime I called for refills. And I'm angry with myself for not questioning it.

Does anyone know if I can begin reducing his dose tonight? He's getting 1 ml twice a day currently.

Thanks for reading. And someone give me a kick up the butt for being an idiot. I've damn near killed him. :cry:

1ml twice a day of metaclopromide? :shock:

How much does Mimzy weigh, is it over 3Kg? I might not be so :shock: then !

What does he have metaclop for?

Sorry if i've missed out on a lot of stuff, i'm not around as much as i used to be.

He's had headtilt since June. In the beginning wasn't eating or drinking much. Mostly because he couldn't stay upright. Better now but residual 90 degree tilt to his left side. I fear he's been on this so long he'll block up especially with all the fur he must be chewing off despite my grooming attempts. He doesn't weigh more than my three pound minirex and I'm rubbish with metric so I'm guessing they last told me 1770 g? That was back in June or July?
He's got to have lost weight since then. Especially with this moult he feels all bones. :(

How much metaclop is too much for his weight? :(

Well...decided to try dropping his dose to half last night and he was a lot friskier this morning. The blue is not as strong in his ears as well.
Vet confirmed that we should wean him off the drug although she'd never heard of this reaction before. There's nothing in the online vet records about it.
If after a week the color is still there I need to check back in. And of course we need to be careful he doesn't go into stasis or we have to start him back up on it again.
Isn't there another gut motility drug besides metaclopromide that might be safer?

Well...decided to try dropping his dose to half last night and he was a lot friskier this morning. The blue is not as strong in his ears as well.
Vet confirmed that we should wean him off the drug although she'd never heard of this reaction before. There's nothing in the online vet records about it.
If after a week the color is still there I need to check back in. And of course we need to be careful he doesn't go into stasis or we have to start him back up on it again.
Isn't there another gut motility drug besides metaclopromide that might be safer?

There are others but I would wait and see how things go before considering any more drugs. It would be far better to try to get him coping without any as far as his guts are concerned. He has had lots of meds for months so less is best in this situation I think :)

I agree Jane, it's not that I want him taking more drugs. Just wanted to know if there are alternatives to what he's on now just in case. :)

Okay...so I've checked him tonight and he's made almost no poos since this morning. :(
Normal? :(
He just ate some greens, was given simethicone because when I checked his tummy it made a loud gurgle. :shock:
Should I give him the full 1ml dose of metaclop tonight and do the 0.5 ml in the morning?
I have to be away from home tomorrow for a few hours and don't want his gut seizing up while I'm gone. :(
His fur is still coming out in great tufts down his haunches and while feeling around the bare skin I found a wee bump on his left hip. It's a bit firm...feels like a tiny pebble and moves with the skin instead of being anchored. I think this may have been something I felt on that side over a year ago but now is just a bit bigger. Could it be one of those fatty lipomas?
I really need his regular doc to get a good look at him. :(

Oh poor Mimzy, hes been through so much :(

It sounds to my untrained ear that perhaps he has become reliant on the Metaclop and therefore his body is struggling without it :( I dont know what the solution to that is really. Id be inclined to reduce his dose very slowly, perhaps by 0.01ml every 2 days. Keep him moving if he becomes lethargic, even if that involves chasing him around which feels really mean but is good for gut motility.

I would advise PM'ing Thumps on here who had a stasis bun whom she kept well with various leaves and forage. It might be worth trying Mimz on a similar diet? Just a thought.

Really hope your little man will be OK, youve both fought so hard together and come so far since June :love:

Oh and thanks for the useful information on long term Metaclop use, I had no idea! :shock:

Thanks Gemma :)
Oh I keep him moving alright...every time I reach for a tuft of fur to pull he speeds off! :( My poor boy.
I found a few more poos and they are of better size, so I'm glad of that. I went ahead and just gave him the 0.5 ml dose tonight and if he seems troubled by morning I'll up the amount a wee bit. He is eating which is great. If he were inappetant I'd be on the way to the ER.

I know thumps and have spoken at length with her about her lovely bridge boy. If I hadn't found her posts over a year ago now Fiver wouldn't be here today. Her wild forage knowledge helped his dysbiosis. Sadly I don't have any of that to use now as the hard frosts have killed everything off and snow is imminent.

It was rather shocking to see all the side effects of metaclopromide in people and to realize Mimzy is now stricken with many of these is distressing at the least. I guess most buns needing these drugs sometimes recover or pass too soon to discover most of these symptoms. :?

I hope Mimzy's fur will come back in okay, he looks like a ragamuffin and most of his new growth is really dark! 0_o Before this is all over I may have a black Holland instead of sooty fawn! :shock:

LOUD TOOTH GRINDING...Help please? :(

Thanks GP, but I'm afraid I've no idea what to ask for. I appreciate the offer though. :)

New development and not a good one I'm afraid. After doing several laps early this morning and begging a fuss, Mimzy has woken me at 8 a.m. our time with VERY loud tooth grinding. I've given him some willow leaves and a raspberry/timothy hay cube to eat which he's pounding down but I can't be certain what is causing him pain. Also administered 0.6 ml simethicone in case it's more gas but can't tell what effect that's having.
There appears to have been poo overnight, of decent size and rather moist (extra greens) but not sure when that was. While trying to massage his belly I felt for any blockage or wetness on his rump and his rectal area seems tense (sorry, graphic) but he did pass a pill while I had my hand there.
Not sure what to do. Just administered another 0.6 ml simethicone and tried more tummy massage. No grinding at the moment but he appears uncomfy to me, although very responsive when he sees me and still accepting of pets.

Should I give more metaclopromide to take him back to previous levels? I have no idea if he's gut blocked and don't want to risk rupture but his poor tummy must not be working right. :(
Dosage instructions say he could have the med every eight to twelve hours which would mean if he had his last dose at midnight and it wasn't enough medicine he might need more, right?
I'll take blue ears and falling hair over stasis and dead bunny anyday. :cry:
Please help. :(

Thanks GP, but I'm afraid I've no idea what to ask for. I appreciate the offer though. :)

New development and not a good one I'm afraid. After doing several laps early this morning and begging a fuss, Mimzy has woken me at 8 a.m. our time with VERY loud tooth grinding. I've given him some willow leaves and a raspberry/timothy hay cube to eat which he's pounding down but I can't be certain what is causing him pain. Also administered 0.6 ml simethicone in case it's more gas but can't tell what effect that's having.
There appears to have been poo overnight, of decent size and rather moist (extra greens) but not sure when that was. While trying to massage his belly I felt for any blockage or wetness on his rump and his rectal area seems tense (sorry, graphic) but he did pass a pill while I had my hand there.
Not sure what to do. Just administered another 0.6 ml simethicone and tried more tummy massage. No grinding at the moment but he appears uncomfy to me, although very responsive when he sees me and still accepting of pets.

Should I give more metaclopromide to take him back to previous levels? I have no idea if he's gut blocked and don't want to risk rupture but his poor tummy must not be working right. :(
Dosage instructions say he could have the med every eight to twelve hours which would mean if he had his last dose at midnight and it wasn't enough medicine he might need more, right?
I'll take blue ears and falling hair over stasis and dead bunny anyday. :cry:
Please help. :(

Can you hear good gut sounds ?

As he is eating and pooing and the tooth grinding has stopped I would try to hold off on the metaclopromide for now.

What other medication is he on at the moment ?

Could the tooth grinding be Dental related ?

Back