• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi in house rabbits

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Seems that loads of bunnies are getting myxi at the moment :(

Does having a house bunny provide extra protection? Myxi is passed on via mosquitos - is that correct?

Bobo was vaccinated earlier this year (when it was still the single injections for Myxi and VHD) - so will be vaccinated with the combi on Sunday. Harley hasn't been vaccinated yet - but will be on Sunday as well.

I did try and speak to the vet receptionist but she seemed very vague - but my understanding was that the original single jabs for Myxi and VHD had to be done every 6 months (for the Myxi anyway) - and the combination one is now just once a year?

And it takes about 3 weeks for the vaccination to take effect - is that correct? Hence my question at the start - are house bunnies better protected do you think? Just worried about the next 3 weeks really - although hopefully the mozzies would have gone back to bed with the cold weather.

I think house rabbits are a bit better protected but nothing is fail safe and mozzies can easily get in. I have a bite on my leg that more than likely was while I was inside as I haven't been out all that much the past couple of days due to going down with lurgy.

I'm not actually sure to be honest. If you're a person that likes to have their windows and doors open all the time then probably not because mozzies can still get in the house frequently. Yep, 3 weeks to take affect and combi vaccination is annually :D

Back