• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is ill and is not eating or drinking, please help??? :(

Perplex

New Kit
I just joined this forum today with the aim of getting some help and advice from the members on here. Any help no matter how small is appreciated.

My rabbit Winter who is 2 years and 2 months old seems to be ill. He has had all his injections and we take him to the vet regularly for health checks to make sure that he's alright. However, yesterday when I opened his hutch to clean inside it, I noticed that his poop was runny and resembled diarrhea, instead of the usual firm solid pellets. I also saw that when he came out of the hutch and onto the grass to run around, that he was covered in poo on his backside.
I decided to bathe him, because I couldn't keep him in that condition. I bathed him with rabbit shampoo and all the poo was washed out and he was clean again. I then wrapped him up in a large towel and blow dryed him with the hairdryer, then proceded to brush him with a bristle brush (he's molting and shedding alot). After that, I decided to keep him indoors and so covered his cage with fresh woodshavings, hay and rabbit nuggets, I also filled up his water bottle with fresh water and attached that to his cage. I put him in his cage and kept him warm making sure to check up on him every half hour. He seemed content with his surroundings and I noticed him grooming himself for a long time. I read up on this and found out that it's a normal thing that rabbits do shortly after being bathed, so I wasn't worried about it. After an hour I realised that he had slowly started nibbling SOME of his hay, but not much, and his water and food had been untouched. I decided to leave him in peace for the night and check up on his progress in the morning. (Oh I also noticed that he did not make a mess after I put him back in his cage, so that was good.)

This morning I checked up on him and he seemed happy to see me, I checked his water to see if he had drank and found it to be the same as before... however my dad noted that he may have drank a LITTLE, but I didn't notice it, so I don't know. His food, was untouched but he had started eating his hay so I guess that was good to see. He had not pooped at all, not even the pellets and there was no evidence of him peeing either as I could not see anything on the corners of his cage where he uses to pee. After I came back from school I checked on him and again, his water seemed untouched and his food too. The hay was nearly gone so I added more. My dad told me that he had fed him a little carrot and some parsley and mint, which he had successfully taken interest in and apparently he said, he ate enthusiastically, which made me happy.

Right now, I'm very worried about him because of him not drinking or possibly drinking too little. I know that rabbits can get dehydrated if they don't drink often. And I really don't want that happening to him... :cry:
The fact that he's not eating his pellets doesn't worry me that much because as long as he's taking an interest in the hay and eating that, then he should be fine?
Is there anything I can do to make him drink and eat more? He still has not pooped or peed so that is very worrying to me too. I do know that hay is great for rabbits digestive system, so that should be helping him, right?

I am really worried and scared and my friend told me to take him to the vet but I'm not sure if I should? I most likely will by tomorrow, if I see that there is no changes to the food and if I see he's not drinking at all.
Please help me, I don't know what else to do to make him better :(

EDIT: I'm so glad though, that the diarrhea is gone :)

Last edited:
If your rabbit is not eating then they are very ill and really really needs the vets. ASAP. Eating hay is a good thing but I would still be very worried and take the poor bun.

If he hasn't poo-ed since yesterday then he really needs to see a vet tonight. It could mean a blockage and that's very serious. Sending lots of vibes for Winter xx

Your bunny needs to see a vet ASAP if he's not eatin drinking weein or pooin sounds like gut stasis he needs medication from a vet ASAP

First of all, check that the bottle is working as they don't always. If you are not sure, give him a bowl instead. Are you sure he is eating his hay because that's a good sign but if he hasn't done any poops or wees by morning he must be taken to the vets urgently as he could have a blockkage. Some would tell you to take him now. Are you sure he hasn't done any poops or wees since yesterday?

If he hasn't poo-ed since yesterday then he really needs to see a vet tonight. It could mean a blockage and that's very serious. Sending lots of vibes for Winter xx

Tonight? is it possible if I could tomorrow morning? D: I don't think I can tonight...

First of all, check that the bottle is working as they don't always. If you are not sure, give him a bowl instead. Are you sure he is eating his hay because that's a good sign but if he hasn't done any poops or wees by morning he must be taken to the vets urgently as he could have a blockkage. Some would tell you to take him now. Are you sure he hasn't done any poops or wees since yesterday?

The bottle is working fine, I checked. And yes I am sure. I'll go check now though just in case.

EDIT: yes he has pooed I just checked. And his water has gone down by a bit. I'll still take him to the vet tomorrow.

Last edited:
Tonight? is it possible if I could tomorrow morning? D: I don't think I can tonight...

The bottle is working fine, I checked. And yes I am sure. I'll go check now though just in case.

When was the last time he pooed? If it was yesterday then tomorrow may be too late :cry: Are you sure it was diarrhoea and not excess ceacals? True diarrhoea is very serious too.

When was the last time he pooed? If it was yesterday then tomorrow may be too late :cry: Are you sure it was diarrhoea and not excess ceacals? True diarrhoea is very serious too.

I just checked now and he has pooed and they seem to be firm pellets. That is good right?
I'm not sure if it was actually diarrhea then, it was runny though.

I would class not pooing for over 24 hours as an emergency and would ring the vet NOW. Not drinking is also very worrying, combined with the diarrhea he could be dehydrated. Good that he is eating some things but if nothing is coming out the other end it can only mean that his gut isnt working properly - which can be fatal.

I just checked now and he has pooed and they seem to be firm pellets. That is good right?
I'm not sure if it was actually diarrhea then, it was runny though.

It's very good that he's pooing! Is he eating normally again now? What's his behaviour like?

Just saw your update - if he has pooed that is better, but still I'd be worried. I would ring the vet and see what they think - they should be able to advise you if it can wait till 9am tomorrow morning - and they should be able to book you an appointment too if they are your usual vets (not if they are an emergency vet service unconnected with your practice though).

I would class not pooing for over 24 hours as an emergency and would ring the vet NOW. Not drinking is also very worrying, combined with the diarrhea he could be dehydrated. Good that he is eating some things but if nothing is coming out the other end it can only mean that his gut isnt working properly - which can be fatal.

He has recently pooed, I checked. But he has not peed yet. Taking him to the vet tomorrow morning, as I can't right now. He seems happy and enthusiastic and is moving around. The hay will help his digestive system until tomorrow morning. For the water thing, does anyone think I should get a syringe and give him water that way?
I'll put water in another bowl and put that in his cage too just in case.

It's very good that he's pooing! Is he eating normally again now? What's his behaviour like?

He seems happy and enthusiastic. He's moving around too.
I'd have to check his eating again, the water seems to have gone down by a bit so I'd say he's drinking a little. The hay is being eaten too.

That's good. Do you have any herbs you could give him wet? I'd keep a very close eye on what's going in and what's coming out tonight.

That's good. Do you have any herbs you could give him wet? I'd keep a very close eye on what's going in and what's coming out tonight.

Herbs? like mint and parsley? any other suggestions of herbs you think will help? and by wet do you mean I should wash them and leave some water on them?

Try some warm water in a bowl. Only try syringing if you can be sure to get it in his mouth and not choke him. Syringe feeding buns isn't easy if they aren't used to it. I,d try a bowl and lots of leafy veg, they have a lot of water. Remove his pellets, hay and grass or veg are all he needs right now. Hope he feels better soon

Try some warm water in a bowl. Only try syringing if you can be sure to get it in his mouth and not choke him. Syringe feeding buns isn't easy if they aren't used to it. I,d try a bowl and lots of leafy veg, they have a lot of water. Remove his pellets, hay and grass or veg are all he needs right now. Hope he feels better soon

Alright, thank you! I'll do that right now.
Thanks again to everyone who has shared help and advice! I hope he gets better by tomorrow, which I'm sure he will. Wish him luck everyone.

Herbs? like mint and parsley? any other suggestions of herbs you think will help? and by wet do you mean I should wash them and leave some water on them?

I think buns can have most herbs except chives (they're part of the onion family), mint and parsley would be fine. Yes, rinse them in cold water and leave them wet for him, that should get a bit more water into him.

Just a warning, as bun has already obviously had some sort of gut trouble, do not give him anything he is not used to eating - the risk being it could make him much worse. Stick to the greens he usually has, but wet.

Make sure he has loads and loads of hay for the night, and give him fresh water in both a bottle and a (non-tippable) bowl.

I dont see why you cant ring the vet, if its money you are worrying about then remember a phone call is free. The vet will be able to give you more information and an analysis of the situation and how urgent it is.

Do make sure you get this rabbit seen asap - be standing there at the door when the vets open tomorrow.

Back