• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi - I am so frightened for my buns at present, are you?

As the title says really. So many of our lovely RU buns are coming down with myxi at present. I am so worried about my ten.

Apart from keeping up to date with vaccinations, keeping them healthy so their immune system can support the vaccination and generally good care in relation to making sure they are cleaned out regularly and the house is as flea and fly free as possible, is there anything else we can do?

So many dedicated, experienced bunny mummies / mammies / daddies are facing caring for a bun with myxi right now, my heart goes out to you and your buns.

Can any one think of anything else we can do to prevent myxi infecting more buns? I'm terrified! :oops:

This is exactly what i've been thinking and i really feel for everyone on here that are caring for buns with this evil thing.

Is it more rife at the moment, even with vacced buns? It seems to be :(

I'm really worried to, I work at a rescue and we have myxi there. I am terrified of bringing it home :( my work shoes live outside, my work clothes go straight in the wash and I always shower the second I gt in and before going anywhere near the boys. I know this is prob over the top but if anything happened I would not forgive myself :(

Other thaN trying to keep the biting insects away and keeping them up to date with their myxi I don't think there is much more anyone can do :(

You can also do what you can to minimise mosquitos so avoid having standing stagnant water around your garden (empty pot plants etc. quickly fill up and the larvae are soon in them. This is my major fear, next door have a old skip full of water on their drive and it's full of them.

Mm, I've sat here reading posts from Captain Helen, Dave and Tinsel to name a few. I really feel for the buns and their humans.

This evil :censored: is all over the place right up and down the country.

At least hearing that other people are worried too helps a bit :oops::oops: - I thought I was over reacting and being a drama queen.

You can also do what you can to minimise mosquitos so avoid having standing stagnant water around your garden (empty pot plants etc. quickly fill up and the larvae are soon in them. This is my major fear, next door have a old skip full of water on their drive and it's full of them.

Yes, good idea. I think the way I am at present, if I was living next door to that skip I would be hiring myself a cutting torch to create drain holes. I'm beginning to feel totally irrational with this :oops::oops::oops:

Could you ask your neighbours if they would mind you pouring a cup full of bleach into the skip, that'd sort them! (unless cats or birds drink out of it of course!)

I assume citronella candles would help? I still use my trusty bit of netting over the hutch with has tiny, tiny holes in the hope that it helps a bit.

I think there was a post by the RWAF that advised putting washing up liquid in any standing water you can't get rid of to kill the larvae.

I'm really saddened to hear of two buns catching myxi after having the new jab :( It definitely seems worse this year :cry:

I think there was a post by the RWAF that advised putting washing up liquid in any standing water you can't get rid of to kill the larvae.

I'm really saddened to hear of two buns catching myxi after having the new jab :( It definitely seems worse this year :cry:

Washing up liquid seems a safer solution to a cutting torch or bleach.

I think it is much worse this year too. We have had buns for many years but I have never been THIS worried!

I wonder if it is *just* due to the fact that we have had more mozzie weather or if there is a new strain or even if the new vaccine is less effective?

Hope you are OK Helen x

cooking oil poured in will kill them also as it floats on surface and cuts off the mossi breathing tubes from the air. and cooking oil will not hurt the cat/birds etc

It's around more mainly due to the wet conditions as its a perfect breeding ground for them pesky mosquitoes

It is heartbreaking seeing all these posts about it :( this is the first year ive been a bit active on a rabbit forum, the past four years i havn't worried one bit but since joining here and seeing all these posts about it im really worrying everyday as to be completely honest i wasn't aware how common it is!

I'm a bit confused??? Can vaccinated rabbits get it? I wasn't at all worried as mine are up to date with vaccinations but seems from this and other threads that they can still be infected. So what is the point of vaccination if this is the case or have I misunderstood?

are indoor bunnies getting it? mine are all indoors but i worry...flies etc don't care if they're indoor or out...

I'm a bit confused??? Can vaccinated rabbits get it? I wasn't at all worried as mine are up to date with vaccinations but seems from this and other threads that they can still be infected. So what is the point of vaccination if this is the case or have I misunderstood?

No vaccine is 100% however not vaccinating would increase chances of catching the virus

Vaccinated rabbits are less likely to get it and sometimes do not get full-blown myxi, but the nodular form (I think I'm correct there). As we've seen from here, it is sadly not 100% effective.

Back