• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit outside in winter?

Mb1

New Kit
Hi, I am currently thinking about buying a rabbit but are unsure if I can buy a new rabbit with it being the start of October and have the rabbit living outside in Scotland even if I buy the right hutch cover with insulation and have plenty of hay and shavings in the hutch would that be enough time for their winter coat to develope? I don't have the room to bring the rabbits indoors and really would like a rabbit and would rather not wait tip April (spring) but if I need to I need to but if anyone could help that would be grateful. Thanks

It really depends on where you buy the rabbit from. If, say from a home where bunny has always been outside then fine or are you going to go to a Rescue for him and eventually get him a friend because sitting on your own up North especially all through the winter is going to be unfair on him. If you go to a Rescue you could get 2 rabbits at the same time, providing your hutch is big enough. Bunnies like to cuddle up in the winter (and in the summer) as it gets very boring sitting outside all on your own. Also, we don't recommend you use shavings as it can cause respiratory problems in rabbits.

I was planning on buying one from pets at home but when we asked for advice said we were too late a couple of weeks for the rabbitto live outside to built its winter coat but thought I'd come on here for other people view as it is only 8th October and its around 4oc at midnight past few nights I don't want put the rabbit at harm of course and why I wouldn't rush into before I get as much advice as I can. I would properly insulate the hutch but I don't know if that would be enough with it being October and chilly

The rabbit probably has never been outside if it is for sale in PAH and you should adhere to what they advise. Have you got a Rescue nearby as their rabbits would already be outdoors and many are young?

I'm not sure but I will have a look, will it be a rabbit rescue centre or pet rescue centre? Thanks

It will be a Rabbit Rescue Centre. The buns will be neutered and vaccinated and possibly paired off.

Please don't get one from P@H unless it is one of the adoption ones that either is too big to be a 'cute' bunny or one that they have taken in. There are rabbit rescues that will be in a lot more need for an adoption.

If you go to a rescue you will pay more for the bun, usually around £40 or £70 ish for a pair but they will of had thier injections and if it is a boy will be castrated. So you will be saving money in the long run, also it is likely to be outside already and have a winter coat.

They will not let you take the bun(s) home when you go as they have to do a home visit. So be patient.

Let us know how it goes an what you decide. :D :D

I use shavings but only in the litter tray, everywhere else is hay and im hoping to get a snugglesafe and some vet bed! ;) I'm considering changing to cat litter!

Also the bun will need a big cage and access to a run daily. Even if there is snow outside some buns love it. The cage will have to be a min of 5ft although 6ft is better. And around 2ft wide if you can find one. The run should be around 6ft long as a min and as wide as the cage if attached.

It is also important that the bun can periscope so usuly about 2ft tall.

Back