• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another rabbit or not ?!

shannon321

Alpha Buck
I've found out about a lovely rabbit needing a new home and while i wasn't considering another i can't get him off of my mind! He's a house rabbit kept alone but is neutered and vaccinated.... and i can't bare the thought of him ending up in an unsuitable home!

I currently have a nuetered male (sammie) and spayed female (bun bun), i've tried unsucessfully to bond them over the past few months, bun bun was bonded with my lovely bobbi who i sadly lost back at the start of the year. So currently they are living side by side, i'm sure i could bond them eventually but both times its been going really well for 3 days or so and then all hell breaks loose and they start to fight both of them seem to want to be dominant and neither will submit so i haven't tried recently or had the time. Sammies been really ill recently but is doing well and once fully recovered i'm taking a week off of work to try and bond again. Can ALL rabbits be bonded no matter what? they dont fight through the bars that seperate them and sit side by side and often groom through the bars but neither will tolerate even the slightest amount of humping when i try to bond them which is when they turn, luckily i've always been with them and able to stop anything serious happening.

Am i mad to consider a third rabbit to eventually try and bond as a trio?!?! i know i could then potentially be left with 3 single rabbits which is less than ideal! But then i think what if i can never bond the two i have, do i have a duty to take on another two rabbit to try and have two groups of two ?

Would trying to bond all three rabbits at the same time when neither is bonded to each other be a good or a bad thing to try?

Bit of an epic post, has anyone been in a similar sitation?

Maybe Bub Bun will prefer the new rabbit, then you'd have to find a female for Sammie! How about that?

Maybe Bub Bun will prefer the new rabbit, then you'd have to find a female for Sammie! How about that?

That is kind of what i'm thinking, i never planned to have four rabbits....i have the space and finances but i think my boyfriend may kill me ??

But what if bun bun doesn't like the new rabbit? i would have to return him and im not sure i could do that so then i'd be in a situation where i'd need 3 more rabbits?!?

arghhhh!!

Potentially i could take the new one on and keep him seperate from the others but i really dont agree with lone bunnies :(

That is kind of what i'm thinking, i never planned to have four rabbits....i have the space and finances but i think my boyfriend may kill me ??

But what if bun bun doesn't like the new rabbit? i would have to return him and im not sure i could do that so then i'd be in a situation where i'd need 3 more rabbits?!?

arghhhh!!

Potentially i could take the new one on and keep him seperate from the others but i really dont agree with lone bunnies :(

I am afraid to say it sounds a bit like your present couple are not that likely as a bond . . . I would take on the other one . . .

I am afraid to say it sounds a bit like your present couple are not that likely as a bond . . . I would take on the other one . . .

Are some rabbits just not suited? you'd have thought they would fight through the bars if so and when they first go together they are fine for about 48 hours then it goes downhill? I've just read the 'no nonsense bonding thread' and think while i thought i was doing it right i may have been too involved with them while bonding, as i did it in the porch and stayed with them for 48hours sleeping in there but also stroking them which is apparently the wrong thing to do ?

My previously bunny who was bonded to Bun bun was quite submissive where as the new boy isn't.

Before anyone asks why i didn't go to a rescue and let bun bun choose her new mate i'm in the deepest darkests depths of cornwall and there are very few available rescues.

I was in the same boat as you. Now I have four. 2 pairs, and they are all really happy.
Once I get willow spayed I am going to attempt a quad bond. With the help of fairly beloved rabbit care :)

Most rabbits will bond but some just won't. Could you take your female to the other rabbit's home to see if they get on? Re your comment on interference, some people reckon if you keep handling 2 rabbits that are being bonded it can confuse them because of differing smells, so you might have a point there. Good luck!

yes i am sure i could take bun bun to meet the other rabbit and also make an arrangement where he could be returned if they didn't bond.

I need to do something as i have two rabbits living side by side who i'd love to either see together or with other bunnies.

Just incase any one has read any of my other threads i do not plan on attempting any bonding or bringing another rabbit into the same area as sammie untill he is 100% better, just want to make it clear i am just procrastinating and trying to come up with a solution as i hate having my rabbits alone and realistically i'm not sure if i will be able to bond them or not, i'm not even sure if sammy will make a full recovery once off the meds so again these are all just thoughts and ideas and i plan to think everything through very carefully before making any decisions i do not take it lightly taking on any Pet.

Back