• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mxi in the wild

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
Always distressing to see rabbits suffering in the wild, and I feel guilty when I just move on ignoring it. As an animal lover, have you ever considered putting wild animals out of their misery?

My ex of many years ago helped a few on their way. He figured that was kinder than leaving them to continue to suffer.

How do you humanely put a rabbit down?

As much as it tears me apart, I still think how do we know it doesnt want to carry on living?

I am having a dilemma over this to be honest:?

I can't tell you how I 'know' but I do know the rabbit has had enough. Sitting in the open without running away is slow suicide for a rabbit.
As to method, I am not prepared to tell anyone. Sorry. I could show you if you were stood with me but a description is not good enough to ensure an instant death. Also there may be guests reading this who might want the info for less noble purposes, what with the cold weather coming up and all.:cry:

Last edited:
I honestly could never, ever do it. I have admiration for those who do because it genuinely is a kindness, I just couldn't.

I've posted this a few years in a row but for new people, I wold never do it.

I spoke to the leading expert on the wild European rabbit about this and she said that every rabbit in the colony she was studying got myxi. Every single one. The wild rabbits that survived grew to adulthood and reproduced and passed on their immunity to their offspring. The rabbit I saw was in a very bad way, swollen eyes to the point he was blind and just sitting there. But she said she would never consider it because she has seen them recover from worse, and she studies them every day of her life. If there is a chance they will recover then I wouldn't do it either. Slowly, slowly the wild rabbits are building up an immunity. They're not like domestic rabbits who have (basically) no chance if not immunised, they are immunised at birth with their mother's milk. So no I would not consider killing a wild bun with myxi, it's not the same. Although I consider myself and expert with domestic rabbits I know little to nothing about wild rabbits so I will go with the expert's opinion. :wave:

Back