• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's all kicking off.

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Hello!

Our buns, Sherlock and Navi, have been very friendly since Navi arrived here in April. Sherlock has been neutered, Navi hasn't been spayed. Our lovely Mrs Hudson died whilst being spayed and so we got Navi. Due to the circumstances in which we lost Mrs Hudson, we have tried to wait as long as possible before getting Navi spayed. I was hoping (foolishly perhaps) to wait until at least her first "gotcha day" had passed but was willing to go with Jan-Feb so she'd be at least a year old.

This morning, I found Sherlock and Navi totally loved up, snuggled and everything fine. About 3 hours ago, however, I went into the bedroom to find fur everywhere. They've seemingly had a spectacular falling out and it isn't getting much better. It isn't continuous, they'll hop around each other, lie down in the same room etc... but when one goes near the other, boom. I am *just a little* leaning towards believing the instigator is actually Sherlock. He tried to mount her (bless him, she's much bigger and it didn't go so well) and he hasn't tried to do this since the first couple of days of Navi being here. Navi has tried on a couple of occasions to "bow" to Sherlock and it doesn't seem to help all that much... however, Navi is no angel in this, she started thumping before when all was calm. But Sherlock seems to be the angriest. He has, up until now, probably been the dominant bun. He probably just about still is, Navi doesn't seem to be going out of her way to instigate chasing etc, it seems like it's him.

Sorry for posting because I know there's a lot of similar threads, but they usually centre on the unspayed rabbit being the angry one. That doesn't /seem/ to be the case here (though I didn't see the initial fight.)

I know Navi needs to be spayed. But before we rush into it I wanted to ask you guys if you think it'd be directly beneficial to this situation now? Is her unspayed...ness likely to be the cause?

Navi has never displayed any of the "typical" behaviour of an unspayed rabbit. She has never sprayed and is litter trained perfectly (as was Mrs Hudson before she was done too) and, again, because we lost Mrs Hudson under anaesthetic and displayed none of the poxy traits of an intact rabbit, I am being very, very cautious with Navi.

Edit: Just so you know, the buns are now separated. Sherlock in their usual house and Navi is currently hopping around and will live in the indoor tent. I will be swapping them around a lot and making sure each has plenty of free range time - on their own. :(

Thank you very much.

Stuart

Last edited:
Hello!

It isn't continuous, they'll hop around each other, lie down in the same room etc... but when one goes near the other, boom. I am *just a little* leaning towards believing the instigator is actually Sherlock. He tried to mount her (bless him, she's much bigger and it didn't go so well) and he hasn't tried to do this since the first couple of days of Navi being here. Navi has tried on a couple of occasions to "bow" to Sherlock and it doesn't seem to help all that much... however, Navi is no angel in this, she started thumping before when all was calm. But Sherlock seems to be the angriest. He has, up until now, probably been the dominant bun. He probably just about still is, Navi doesn't seem to be going out of her way to instigate chasing etc, it seems like it's him.

Sorry for posting because I know there's a lot of similar threads, but they usually centre on the unspayed rabbit being the angry one. That doesn't /seem/ to be the case here (though I didn't see the initial fight.)

Hi Stuart :wave: I just wondered what you meant by the bit I've bolded. If she's putting her head down in front of him then that is her demanding to be groomed and is her expressing dominance over him.
If she isn't neutered she could well be pestering him alot as an intact female would. I would neuter her and then try and bond when her hormones have settled. I understand you being cautious but it really is in her best interests.

Hi Stuart :wave: I just wondered what you meant by the bit I've bolded. If she's putting her head down in front of him then that is her demanding to be groomed and is her expressing dominance over him.
If she isn't neutered she could well be pestering him alot as an intact female would. I would neuter her and then try and bond when her hormones have settled. I understand you being cautious but it really is in her best interests.

Ah! That's interesting. I thought the bowing (head down in front) was a mixture of asking for grooming and submission. Oops. Well, I would say she definitely does that more than he does, though on occasion he will do that too. That's food for thought. The little things, like Sherlock will generally always get the last piece of broccoli, made me believe Sherlock is the dominant one. Then again, bunnies often seem to be a contradiction!

I suppose it is time to have her spayed. I have to ask though, just because... is your advice based on general good practice or do you think this is just her hitting age now where not being spayed really could be the cause of this?

Thanks very much for your time :)

Last edited:
Hiya. It's based on a bit of both. Now that she's reached sexual maturity her hormones will play a big part in her behaviour.
When I first got rabbits I found the whole "I'm in charge so you will groom me" thing odd because I'd had rats for years and they are the other way around the dominant rat does the grooming.

I can understand why you've postponed having Navi spayed. I put off having Spenser neutered for almost a year, and of course the boy neuter is much more straightforward. It's especially important to have females done because of the high risk of cancer in unspayed does, but in your case it does sound as if Navi's hormones could well be a factor in causing their falling out.

It sounds as if you are managing the situation very well in the meantime. :thumb:

I can understand why you've postponed having Navi spayed. I put off having Spenser neutered for almost a year, and of course the boy neuter is much more straightforward. It's especially important to have females done because of the high risk of cancer in unspayed does, but in your case it does sound as if Navi's hormones could well be a factor in causing their falling out.

It sounds as if you are managing the situation very well in the meantime. :thumb:

It's a horrible thing to hand the bunny over for the op, isn't it? We did it for Sherlock and of course it went OK but I'll never forget handing Mrs Hudson over. Genuinely, and not just saying this because of what happened, I didn't feel "right", where with Sherlock I felt it'd be OK. With Mrs Hudson, I felt... uneasy. Same vet, not their fault. Just something. Decided I was being silly and reminded myself that complications are rare and fought against my instinct. I'll always remember that. There's no way I will hand Navi over before I know she's ready and I will probably just about make that decision when I have to hand her over. One things for sure, if I get a funny feeling she's coming right back home with me for some broccoli! Eeesh.

The buns are calmer around each other at the moment, still not right, but calmer. They had a quick grooming session an hour or so ago. Navi currently doing 50mph laps of the sofa!

I think I'll get Navi booked in for her spay this month. I'd rather not delay if it needs doing (and it feels OK!) but it's half term at the end of Oct and would prefer to be off with her.

Thanks both for your help :)

Bunnies!!

Quick update!

Bunnies are much more relaxed around each other at the moment. Navi generally a bit wary of Sherlock up until the last hour or so. He's ended up grooming her a bit too. We'll see. Navi Bun is now booked for her spay on the 29th. Eeesh. I'll be glad when that's been done.

Quick update!

Bunnies are much more relaxed around each other at the moment. Navi generally a bit wary of Sherlock up until the last hour or so. He's ended up grooming her a bit too. We'll see. Navi Bun is now booked for her spay on the 29th. Eeesh. I'll be glad when that's been done.

That's good. Remind us all to send vibes for Navi on 29th. :wave:

That's good, I completely agree with having her done at a time you can be at home with her. I would do that too.

That's good. Remind us all to send vibes for Navi on 29th. :wave:

Thanks. :) I'll be a wreck on the 29th. A wreck. We're going to move her into the bedroom so she has carpet to lie on and not have to go anywhere near the wood flooring. Once she's settled when she gets home, I'll be making some very dry gin Martinis. Well, no more than two because of operation Bunwatch. Rabbits are taking over...

Back