• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon after developing myxi can a rabbit be re-vaccinated?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Merlin's myxi signs have totally gone now. Mulberry is still very lumpy, even on her poor little toes, but her breathing is better since we switched her to Septrin and she's eating/fine in herself. However both are due their dual vacc in November, and given that it takes three weeks to protect them, I'd wanted to get it done early. Presumbably Mulberry can't have it until she's better - but how much better does she need to be? (both were vaccinated previously but with single vaccine)

Any advice welcomed :wave:

I'd like to know too. I'd also like to know if myxi survivors will need to be vaccinated twice for the VHD part to be effective?

I think I'd contact the manufacturers to ask advice on this.
MSD Animal Health
Walton Manor
Walton
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
MK7 7AJ

Tel: +44 (0)370 060 3380

E-mail: vet-support.uk@merck.com

Thank you - that's a good idea. Because she'll be depleted with the myxi I don't want to hit her with a double whammy, but on the other hand there are still lots of biting insects about and I don't want her to catch another version of it because her vaccination has worn off. Will check with my vet too. :wave:

are rabbits not immune after having contracted Myxi? I know the young of rabbits that have survived are immune (if I'm remembering rightly!) but can't remember if rabbits who have survived are

are rabbits not immune after having contracted Myxi? I know the young of rabbits that have survived are immune (if I'm remembering rightly!) but can't remember if rabbits who have survived are

Hmm I suspect she'd be immune against the strain she'd caught but possibly not all strains. Also, once her vacc expires in November, she won't be immune against VHD.... :?

If I remember correctly the VHD side doesn't work in rabbits who have previously had myxomatosis so you might have to get that done as a separate vaccine.

Hmm I suspect she'd be immune against the strain she'd caught but possibly not all strains. Also, once her vacc expires in November, she won't be immune against VHD.... :?

I forget that there are different strains! Doh! Hmm no she wouldn't be, well she'd still have some immunity as it doesn't just stop working but it's reduced I imagine. Might be worth finding out how long the immunity lasts to see if you have some leeway incase she isn't strong enough? :wave:

This is a quote from the RWA sent out today:

If my rabbit has had myxi will they be immune?
Should I still vaccinate (cover the vhd risk)

This is controversial, and it’s difficult to give firm advice here. I would prefer to err on the side of caution. Some references suggest lifelong immunity following recovery from natural infection, and others suggest absolute immunity for several months. Without performing antibody testing, it is best to assume that all animals are susceptible, and I would recommend vaccinating with both myxomatosis and RHD vaccines to afford the highest level of protection against both. The Myxo-RHD vaccine carries warnings to the effect that in rabbits with existing immunity to myxomatasis, there may not be a good level of post-vaccination RHD immunity. In such cases, a single RHD vaccine may be given 2 weeks after the combined vaccine.

Back