• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Set up once buns return from bonding

Carley

Warren Scout
Hello!

My two buns have gone off to be bonded with my friend who has lots of bonding experience.

Matilda is an 8 month old spayed female and Kyle is just over a year old neutered male.

We tried bonding before and thought we had cracked it only for a big fight to break out and they had to be separated. Since then we have given them a break then reintroduced them to each other and they have lived side by side for over a month. They were laying together through the bars and fine when my friend took them to hers for short dates. (she lives in my street)

My friend took them to hers last Monday and since then she reports that they have been fine together. She said there is minimal humping from Matilda which is great as this was a huge problem last time. They are not fighting but still not lovey dovey as she put it so they are staying with her until she feels they are ready.

They lived in the dining room in pens for the last few months and when they come home they will be moving in to the lounge. I have two pens which I will combine and they will have a space of 8x8ft when I am in bed or out of the house and then they will have the while front room when I am in the house.

Anyway as soon as they return what set up would you recommend? I can easily split the pens up to provide a small space. What items should I put in to begin with? Obviously litter tray and water bottle and as the floors are laminate I usually scatter carpet tiles. They are in a small 4x4 ft ish pen at the moment.

Sorry for such a long post but I am desperate to get it right this time.

Thanks.

It is really difficult to give you exact advice because all rabbit bondings are different. If your friend feels that they are quite bonded I would put them where they are going to be permanently ootherwiise you will be kind of moving backwards. Fingers crossed they will be ok, try to neutralise the area before they come home annd hope for the best! IF they fight it will be back to square 1 but I don't see why they should if they are getting on all right at your friends.

Thank you for your reply. I really appriciate it.

I am going to scrub the floor and walls in the lounge with vinegar or bio washing powder apparently works well?

I am going to set up the 4x4 pen. Inside I am going to put in a box with holes to hide in and just put carpet tiles, a storage box litter tray and water bottle in. Does that sound okay? I am so nervous!

If they are getting on well at your friends there is no point in putting them in a small area when they come back, I would try them in the area where they will be living. If it doesn't work out then you will have to take a step backwards and put them in your 4 x 4.

how did it go? my rabbit is away being bonded as we speak and if it goes well im also nervous about the return

Sorry I have not updated you all. I have been so busy at Uni and trying to prepare for a physcophamacology exam which I can safely say that I am really struggling with. Anyway, back to the buns...

They have been great :) it seems that Matilda got her wish to be boss. She still humps Kyle a little but he doesn't retaliate, just hops off. Last time he would get quite angry with her so it's a huge change.

I slept downstairs with them the first night they were back and saw lots of snuggling together and a bit of grooming. I annoyed them being downstairs I think as every time I moved they would run round in circles! They still do this first thing in the morning so whoever gets up first has to make sure that feeding them their pellets is the first thing that happens.

They were in a 4x4 ft pen but I have now increased it to 4x6 ft and will increase it again in a few days.

I am overjoyed with how it is at the moment :) I hope that your bonding goes well too :)

Just a quick question, I have not seen Matilda groom Kyle at all. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Pleased to hear bonding is going well. The dominant one is quite often the one who does the grooming.

Just a quick question, I have not seen Matilda groom Kyle at all. Is that normal?

If Matilda is the boss then that sounds pretty normal to me. :D The dominant bun may sometimes groom his/her partner but often the grooming is only one way - with the subordinate bunny doing most/all of the grooming.

Alfie was the boss in my pair and was always demanding grooming from Bubbles (and she always obliged) but he very rarely returned the favour.

Phew, glad that all seems normal. They really are funny little things.

They have a different look in their eyes now that they are together. I can't put my finger on what it is though. Content maybe?

Back