• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit fell out of hutch + Myxo-RHD injection questions

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hello everyone. Ok firstly We took Four of our rabbits in April for thier myxo injections but the new vet there (we couldn't get anyone else and the rabbits were due the jab) gave the new Myxo-VHD (or RHD) instead. Well they have been fine. We took the other three for thier injection on wednesday just gone and i was wondering how long would the injection take to start working? I've heard it can take a while before it even protects against the virus.

Secondly Harmony fell out of the hutch on friday night when i went to give the rabbits thier hay. I say fell because we have the hutches stacked. We have three in a row and one big one (used to be two but we combined it) on top. I thought i had closed the door and put the lock across but i hadn't and i heard the door fling back and when i looked down i saw her just landing on the floor. It happened really fast but i saw her land on her feet. She even jumped off the vets table once before which is the same height as the floor of the hutch she fell from and she was fine after that. I think she may have given herself a fright because she has been a bit off since the fall. We checked her feet and they are not broken and she ran around fine when in the run on saturday. She hasn't stopped eating completely but she has preffered to just eat hay and some veg with a tiny bit of pellets. I have seen her drink too. I am just wondering if this is "normal" behaviour if she scared herself or should i be worried? Can rabbits get bruises? I just want to explore every possible reason before making any hasty (and possibly unneeded) vet trip.

Hello everyone. Ok firstly We took Four of our rabbits in April for thier myxo injections but the new vet there (we couldn't get anyone else and the rabbits were due the jab) gave the new Myxo-VHD (or RHD) instead. Well they have been fine. We took the other three for thier injection on wednesday just gone and i was wondering how long would the injection take to start working? I've heard it can take a while before it even protects against the virus.

Secondly Harmony fell out of the hutch on friday night when i went to give the rabbits thier hay. I say fell because we have the hutches stacked. We have three in a row and one big one (used to be two but we combined it) on top. I thought i had closed the door and put the lock across but i hadn't and i heard the door fling back and when i looked down i saw her just landing on the floor. It happened really fast but i saw her land on her feet. She even jumped off the vets table once before which is the same height as the floor of the hutch she fell from and she was fine after that. I think she may have given herself a fright because she has been a bit off since the fall. We checked her feet and they are not broken and she ran around fine when in the run on saturday. She hasn't stopped eating completely but she has preffered to just eat hay and some veg with a tiny bit of pellets. I have seen her drink too. I am just wondering if this is "normal" behaviour if she scared herself or should i be worried? Can rabbits get bruises? I just want to explore every possible reason before making any hasty (and possibly unneeded) vet trip.

The Myxo-RHD Vaccine takes 3 weeks to establish a full immune response

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-58449.html

Without examining the Rabbit who fell from a hutch it is impossible to say if she is OK or not. A fear response is unlikely to persist for days, injury is far more likely but to establish where and what the injury is an examination by a Vet is needed. Injuries to the mouth/jaw are common after a fall from a significant height, including broken teeth and/or fractured jaw. Personally I would not hesitate in taking the Rabbit to a Vet. At the very least some pain relief may be needed.

The Myxo-RHD Vaccine takes 3 weeks to establish a full immune response

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-58449.html

Without examining the Rabbit who fell from a hutch it is impossible to say if she is OK or not. A fear response is unlikely to persist for days, injury is far more likely but to establish where and what the injury is an examination by a Vet is needed. Injuries to the mouth/jaw are common after a fall from a significant height, including broken teeth and/or fractured jaw. Personally I would not hesitate in taking the Rabbit to a Vet. At the very least some pain relief may be needed.

Hi. Ok we are taking Harmony to the vets later this afternoon. She is not right. She has been drinking and she is eating hay but this morning she only ate very very little before running off to the bed and eating hay instead. I am really worried now. If she has injured her jaw what would the vets be abe to do? And does anyone know roughly how much the treatment will cost? I am only asking because i haven't got much money.

Hi. Ok we are taking Harmony to the vets later this afternoon. She is not right. She has been drinking and she is eating hay but this morning she only ate very very little before running off to the bed and eating hay instead. I am really worried now. If she has injured her jaw what would the vets be abe to do? And does anyone know roughly how much the treatment will cost? I am only asking because i haven't got much money.

If her jaw is fractured treatment would depend entirely on the type of fracture and it's exact location. A GA and skull radiographs may be required. If she has damaged teeth or bitten her tongue/cheeks again treatment would depend on the findings on examination, possibly under GA

As to costs, all Vets set their own fees so you would need to discuss it all with your Vet. He/she may agree to setting up a payment plan for you where-by you agree to pay a set amount every week.

Fees are likely to incorporate:

Consultation
Diagnostics (possibly GA and Xrays)
Medication

If her jaw is fractured treatment would depend entirely on the type of fracture and it's exact location. A GA and skull radiographs may be required. If she has damaged teeth or bitten her tongue/cheeks again treatment would depend on the findings on examination, possibly under GA

As to costs, all Vets set their own fees so you would need to discuss it all with your Vet. He/she may agree to setting up a payment plan for you where-by you agree to pay a set amount every week.

Fees are likely to incorporate:

Consultation
Diagnostics (possibly GA and Xrays)
Medication

Thank you for your replies. Yeah i am guessing it'll be around £100, possibly more. GA's are usually around £90 at our vets. When Frosty and Fuzzy went for X-rays on thier teeth it was around £90. I think i have enough saved money i had been putting away for emergencies to match that.

Edit - post vet visit. OK we have been to the vets. They checked Harmony over and told us the jaw is not fractured or broken and as she has been eating and drinking then it could be bruising underneath when she landed from the fall. The vet told us to give some metacam for three days just to be safe. I am pleased about not having her go through GA for X-rays as she is the most nervous of all our rabbits when at the vets. fingers crossed she gets back to normal in a few days.

Last edited:
Glad you have got some metacam. I think you should monitor. Not to try and scare you but I think my barneys problems were caused by a fall from a hutch that he had early on when I had him. He has since been xrayed so I know there was never a fracture but his mouth was bruised and i think he subsequently had problems because of it. I learnt a big lesson from this. I would def keep a very close eye on bunny.

Back