• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty bum, limping and loss of weight

Hi,
My rabbit Atti is about 8 years old and has recently lost weight. She's a lion head.

She's always had a bit of a problem with a dirty bum and I quite often have to clean it off.
Unfortunately lately she's started limping aswell.
Today I tried to clean her bum and it was well and truely solidly stuck to her! And clearly hurt when I tried to remove it.
I sat her in warm water in the bath and this loosened it a bit however after her getting quite stressed I took her out and this helped a lot and I was more able to remove it. She was biting a lot and she's not a bitey rabbit!

After removing this I noticed that it almost looks like her bum hole was red and exposed. Slight bit of blood.
I've given her 0.5ml metacam and going to give her some baytril I have left from the rats respyness.
I'm going to call the vets and take her on Monday, but does anyone know what could cause this?

Have you checked for Flystrike ?

I agree that arthritis may be the primary cause of her problems, but without an examination it is impossible to say for sure. The weightloss and limping may be due to chronic pain, as could her inability to clean herself.

Personally I would be very wary of administering medication dispensed for another Pet, the drug may now be out-of-date if it was dispensed into a different bottle than that supplied by manufacturers. At best it may be useless at worst it may cause gut problems.

Personally I wouldn't wait until Monday - I would contact the emergency vet as rabbits go downhill so quickly and if it is flystrike it needs immediate treatment.

we have a bun who is also having some weight loss and limping problems - because of the way she is limping and her age we thought arthritis but to my surprise the x-rays came back totally clear (spine and legs all fine) but the EC test for active (rather than just 'present') EC came back incredibly high so this is what is causing the limping.

What has triggered the EC to become very active I am not sure - but we are trying to dampen it down with metacam and panacur and then investigate further. . .

I recommend you try an xray and then EC tet if nothing comes up on xray.

Just been vets had full MOT! Been prescribed baytril and loxicom. Had gut stimulant and taking a urine sample back as it is thought to be a bladder infection as there was blood in her urine yesterday.

The limping is most probably arthritis and worsened by the rubbish weather lately.

Since coming back she's not stopped chomping and running about!!

Back