• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cleaning routine ...

tracey madigan

Warren Scout
Just wondered what everyones routine and set up is at the moment ,my rabbits live in wendy houses and one lot have decided their bed is now a litter tray so at the moment i am putting shavings all over the floor topped with straw then they have a litter tray filled with hay but they still use the floor as a toulet sometimes and also make a big mess in their run :(

I just bought a karcher wet and dry vac for cleaning their runs and the neighbours must think i have lost it as i am hoovering the garden at 8.15 am this morn :shock:

Does anyone else use anthing like this ,i just found it easier than trying to climb into the run to get to the corners etc and it gets the hair up a lot easier than a brush

Hi :wave:

Ditch the shavings, they can cause respiratory problems, some rabbits ingest them & to be honest, they're not needed and very messy!!

Line whatever you want to use as a litter tray with newspaper and then hay. Don't put hay (or straw - no need for that either) anywhere else. Rabbits like to eat where they toilet so only put hay where you want them to go :thumb:

Refresh the hay twice a day if you can to encourage plenty of nomming. Clean out as often as it suits you. I do mine once/twice a day. Some folks do every other, some do once a week, it's a personal thing.

If you want to add warmth & texture to their house try carpet sample mats, non slip lino, fleece blankets, wicker baskets, plastic dog beds etc.

ETA: I assume they are neutered? If not then neutering often makes a big difference to litter habits :D

My routine for the bunnies:

Daily I do a little clean, this generally involves collecting up stray poops and putting in litter tray so when their food is scattered its on a clean surface

Change litter tray every 2-3 days (it's a very large one) I also do a full sweep of their hutch when I change the tray

Disinfect vinyl flooring thoroughly every week with Trigene in their hutch

Sweep run floor weekly and disinfect and scrub with trigene every month

Mine are perfectly litter trained for wee, and 90% for poops too though so its not that difficult to keep them clean

Hi :wave:

Ditch the shavings, they can cause respiratory problems, some rabbits ingest them & to be honest, they're not needed and very messy!!

Line whatever you want to use as a litter tray with newspaper and then hay. Don't put hay (or straw - no need for that either) anywhere else. Rabbits like to eat where they toilet so only put hay where you want them to go :thumb:

Refresh the hay twice a day if you can to encourage plenty of nomming. Clean out as often as it suits you. I do mine once/twice a day. Some folks do every other, some do once a week, it's a personal thing.

If you want to add warmth & texture to their house try carpet sample mats, non slip lino, fleece blankets, wicker baskets, plastic dog beds etc.

ETA: I assume they are neutered? If not then neutering often makes a big difference to litter habits :D

They are all neutered yes ,they have cushion flooring down and their house is insulated ,have tried carpet but they wee and chew it ,they also make a mess in the dog bed and if nothing is on the floor they still wee on it ,they were great until i went away for a weekend and left oh to look after them and he "forgot" to clean their litter tray :evil:,they used to have a plastic dog bed filled with straw as a bed and used to keep this clean :cry:

Daily I do a little clean, this generally involves collecting up stray poops and putting in litter tray so when their food is scattered its on a clean surface

Change litter tray every 2-3 days (it's a very large one) I also do a full sweep of their hutch when I change the tray

Mine are perfectly litter trained for wee, and 90% for poops too though so its not that difficult to keep them clean

Thanks ,at the mo i do trays every other day and have to sweep the run nearly every day ,hence the vac lol

Thanks ,at the mo i do trays every other day and have to sweep the run nearly every day ,hence the vac lol

When I was litter training mine I had vinyl on the floor and whenever they did a wee on the floor I would clean it up as soon as I found it and they soon learnt to wee in the tray :thumb:

I think sometimes if there is substrate on the floor and in the tray they might get confused as to where they are supposed to go

They are all neutered yes ,they have cushion flooring down and their house is insulated ,have tried carpet but they wee and chew it ,they also make a mess in the dog bed and if nothing is on the floor they still wee on it ,they were great until i went away for a weekend and left oh to look after them and he "forgot" to clean their litter tray :evil:,they used to have a plastic dog bed filled with straw as a bed and used to keep this clean :cry:

Forget the carpet idea then, it doesn't work for all buns. I think you've got to get the litter training sorted first anyway. I use a plastic dog bed as a litter tray + a large underbed storage box. Giving them more than one play to go is a good idea :thumb:

My advice is stick to whatever routine you feel will work best for you and them in the long and persevere. Don't be tempted to keep changing things as this could confuse them. It took 6 months for foster buns September & Paintbox to stop weeing & pooing outside of their litter trays & at one point it was driving me mad :lol: but they are now excellent and 99% of everything is where it should be ;)

I have three lots altogther nd they are all different lol ,the giants keep their house spotless and like a litter tray in the run which they use but also use the run floor :cry:,i have just been using two big storage trays throughout the summer while i try to get the others retrained but now its getting colder i am worried as it does look very cosy lol
Some of the pictures of housing on here looks so tidy and has lovely fluffy beds/carpet etc and i would love to have mine like that :(

It's quite common for them to wee on blankets and things. Mine are good with their litter training but Mischa would still wee on my bed from time to time and Nutmeg wees on fleeces. I just make it so they are easily taken out and have replacements so I can wash them regularly. For Nutmeg and Smudge I use a carpet offcut as Nutmeg does wee on carpet but not very often.

I change their litter trays every other day, I use just newspaper and hay. I sweep their rooms once or twice a day and mop once a month. And change their fleeces once a fortnight or once a week if needed.

You say you have three lots together, could it be that because they are smelling another pair they are panicking about their territory and are marking because they feel it's threatened?

I clean them out every Saturday (or the best weather day close to that)

I set everything up, put all the old bedding in the bin, make sure it is all nice and clean and tidy, and since it is getting dark wet and cold I have been filling their whole hutch with hay to keep them warm. Then I put the toys back in.

Rosie is perfectly litter trained and uses the bedroom area as her litter area. But Pebbles seems to prefer the opposite end of the hutch :roll: I just put a few newspapers down to help catch the wee

Repeat for my lot :thumb:

It's quite common for them to wee on blankets and things. Mine are good with their litter training but Mischa would still wee on my bed from time to time and Nutmeg wees on fleeces. I just make it so they are easily taken out and have replacements so I can wash them regularly. For Nutmeg and Smudge I use a carpet offcut as Nutmeg does wee on carpet but not very often.

I change their litter trays every other day, I use just newspaper and hay. I sweep their rooms once or twice a day and mop once a month. And change their fleeces once a fortnight or once a week if needed.

You say you have three lots together, could it be that because they are smelling another pair they are panicking about their territory and are marking because they feel it's threatened?

Mm could be a suppose but i have had them all for a few years so dont know why its started now ,it seemed to coincide with the oh forgetting to clean their tray when i went away for the weekend ! they do however mark their territory around each others run lol

Back