• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor old Grim

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
:(

Really worried about him. He's so snuffly it's stopping him being able to breathe! He's on all the relevant meds which have made a small difference but it just comes out of his nose and dries solid. I just needed to make a thread to share what I've been having to do. After he's been the nebuliser with the decongestant I have to get some warm water and cotton wool and soak the dried 'snot' around his nose. It's already a little softened by the nebuliser. But I have to be careful to not get any water in his nose because he can hardly breathe at all. But he really freaks out. And then I have to use my fingernails to gently pick the 'snot' away from round and on his nose. I know it hurts him as it pulls the fur and his skin is very sore but the alternative is he can't breathe which stops his eating too. :( He really gets so stressed and bites me hard (he has no teeth so let him - it seems to make him feel better). But today when his nose was all clear he ran straight to the water bowl and drank for ages, like he hadn't been able to drink before that because he was too bunged up.

My poor little man.

I feel that another vet trip is imminent, but there's not much left we can try. Although my vet always seems to find something else to help him.
I couldn't bear to think about putting him to sleep for a runny nose, but his quality of life is not good at the moment. He's been on F10 and another decongestant for a week now and it's helped a little, but I think, because this is the first decongestant he's had (bar one day of bisolvon which stopped him eating) that it's just clearing a lot out of him. At least that's what I hope and that in a while I'll see some more improvement.

Smoo is looking after him well too.

Awwww bless him :( I'm so sorry to hear that he's so poorly. I have a snuffly little boy too who struggles to breathe sometimes (mostly when he's been running around/been active for a while), but I've been giving him Septrin for nearly a week and he seems to respond to it. Sending lots of vibes for your little one :( I really hope things get easier for him soon. It's so hard watching them struggle :cry:

Adding healing vibes for Grimmy (((((((((((((((vibes))))))))))))))

I'm sorry you're both struggling so. Did anything ever come of trying echinacea and goldenseal for him? If he's bunged up that bad maybe his immune system needs a boost?

Thinking of you both and hoping things improve soon. ((((((((((Hugs )))))))))))

Thanks for the replies. Just helps to talk about it sometimes. :)
I haven't tried echinacea yet, I wanted to try the nebuliser meds first to see if they made a difference, but I'll ask my vet about it next time.

We nebulise a pinch of Bisolvon in with the F10 solution. It definitely works for our girl - when she is having a bad spell she comes out of the carrier after being nebulised like a new bunny. As you know, the key is keeping it all runny so it's not blocking the nose.

I don't know what antibiotics you have tried, but after losing three young buns to pasteurella we finally landed on Alamycin, which is a farm drug given by injection every three days. It's the only thing that works on ours. We have one with chronic snuffles, and a course of Alamycin sorts her out every time she has a bad spell. We also have two whose pasteurella flares up a couple of weeks after being vaccinated. Our vet doesn't even bother trying baytril or any other abx with ours any more - they go straight onto the Alamycin.

Despite swab tests and a PM, we've never been able to isolate the strain of pasteurella but at least we have found a treatment which works for ours. If you have tried everything else, it might be worth seeing if your vet would let you give Alamycin a go...

matt drinks alot of water aswell when very snuffly and after being nebulised. i think someone told me why but i can't remember :oops: - but i know it wasn't because they haven't been able to drink :? sorry not much help :oops:

the only thing i can think so suggest is nebulising longer? i don't know how much you nebulise now but matt has 30mins twice a day when very snuffly. if the mucus is very thick then it seems something else is needed to be added in the nebuliser to thin it out even more.

it's horrible to see them so snuffly though isn't it. :(

Back