• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

post spay care?

belgian2

Alpha Buck
My little lop doe Moocher is booked in to be spayed on Monday.
I have her old indoor cage ready for her to go in spare bedroom (where she lived when too little to live outside) some vet bed, news paper and nice treats ready.
My plan is one night indoors then back to her normal outdoor pen if looking good.

is there anything else I should be aware of/do? I am very aware that not eating is not a good thing after surgery so have got in the fenugreek crunches etc
what about stitches? do does often present a problem unpicking stitches? if they do what does one do to stop them?

I've had other animals spayed/castrated but never a rabbit spay so don't want to do anything wrong.

Our little girl didn't try and pick at all but she had internal stitches, I think they are more common but not sure if all vets do them.
We did have a little jumper to put on her, but she didn't really like it so we took it off.

Watch out for the poops, if she doesn't poop then get onto the vet after a couple of hours max. keep on top of cleaning the poops so you can see if they slow down as well.

I also read on here that they are also known for going off their favorite food so have a variation in just in case! Binky went off all food, but the vet gave her a gut stimulant and she was got back to normal.

Good luck for the spay!!!

thank you Amanda. I really am rather dreading this but its got to be done.
vets origonally sugguested having her done today but i figured monday better as at least then they open all week in case needs to go back in hurry.

They will have an out of hours number you can use for the evening, so just make sure you have that too hand. Sounds like you have everything ready and you know what you are doing and what to look out for! :)

I'm not saying it will happen, but if she reacts badly (not eating/drinking/pooing/healing etc) and needs to be kept in the house for a few days, she might not be able to go back outside until next spring. Have you prepared for this possibility?

Good luck btw :)

Ah i have a slight advantage , I breed a very rare breed of chicken so have heat lamps for chicks/sick birds - and electric down to the greenhouse her hutch is situated in so if need be she can have a heated enclosure over winter!

could otherwise stop in but frankly I think she'd rather be near her beloved boy buns that she spends all day mooning over through the wire lol

out of hours- i am praying i don't need them- I think last time I enquired it was over £120 to walk through their door before they even do anything. I'll do it if i have to but really would like to be able to afford to eat this month!

I just want my little moocher back safe and well

Back