• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is This the 'Best' Excuse for 'Wanting Rid' of a Rabbit ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
A local woman who apparently found out I 'have a Rabbit Rescue' (that's news to me!!) approached me as I was parking my car this morning. She said 'Can I bring my House Rabbit to you, we are having new wood flooring put down this weekend and I dont want it all scratched by the Rabbit'............. :shock:

She was absolutely serious !! :roll:

Honestly, it's a good job I dont have a Rescue, I'd be up on a murder charge in no time at all !!

What worries me all the time is rescues are so full if we turn them away what happens to the bunnies.?

and thats why im not leaving the house anymore:oops:

:shock: Idiot. :(

I know someone who made her boyfriend get rid of his three cats when they got new furniture, as she didn't want it damaged. Now she wants a rabbit. :roll: Oh, and she got rid of the puppy. And now wants another, but before it can walk, so she can get used to it before it starts biting her. :shock: :? :roll:

:shock: Idiot. :(

I know someone who made her boyfriend get rid of his three cats when they got new furniture, as she didn't want it damaged. Now she wants a rabbit. :roll: Oh, and she got rid of the puppy. And now wants another, but before it can walk, so she can get used to it before it starts biting her. :shock: :? :roll:

Oh gawd, she wont be having kids will she ? The thought of the idiot gene going on to the next generation is just too depressing !!

How silly, poor rabbit, I think rescues are so full because they charge so much for a rabbit when you could go private for a lot less,, the rspca charge £46 and another local resuce charges £60 per rabbit now bearing in minde they like to live in pairs thats an awful lot of money when you can pay just £10 privately or even get them for free, not all new owners will be getting their rabbits netured either which is why rescues prehaps charge so much, dont get me wrong I think rescue centers do a great job and can appriciate why their costs are so high but I do feel this puts people off adopting.
I wanted to adopted a female for my male rabbit as a companion , we visited the rspca but there wasnt a female avablibe, I looked on preloved and a lady desperatly needed to rehome her rabbits, mum and baby, we got them for nothing.

How silly, poor rabbit, I think rescues are so full because they charge so much for a rabbit when you could go private for a lot less,, the rspca charge £46 and another local resuce charges £60 per rabbit now bearing in minde they like to live in pairs thats an awful lot of money when you can pay just £10 privately or even get them for free, not all new owners will be getting their rabbits netured either which is why rescues prehaps charge so much, dont get me wrong I think rescue centers do a great job and can appriciate why their costs are so high but I do feel this puts people off adopting.
I wanted to adopted a female for my male rabbit as a companion , we visited the rspca but there wasnt a female avablibe, I looked on preloved and a lady desperatly needed to rehome her rabbits, mum and baby, we got them for nothing.

But with a Rescue Rabbit he/she is likely to be both neutered and vaccinated. If a person had to pay for that themselves it would cost at least £100. So the 'free from Preloved' Rabbit is still going to cost more than one from a Rescue. Also, you get no come-back with a Rabbit obtained via classified ads, with a Rescue Rabbit you do.

But with a Rescue Rabbit he/she is likely to be both neutered and vaccinated. If a person had to pay for that themselves it would cost at least £100. So the 'free from Preloved' Rabbit is still going to cost more than one from a Rescue. Also, you get no come-back with a Rabbit obtained via classified ads, with a Rescue Rabbit you do.

but thats what I said, people dont always want/need to have their rabbits netured so a free rabbit costs nothing,
From inexperianced owners point of view they just want a rabbit and why would they pay £60 when they can get one for nothing.
Had the rspca had a doe we would most likley of adopted her and been happy to pay the price as I would rather rehome an unwanted pet then buy another from a pet shop/privately but not everyone veiws it that way for some people cost is a big issue and they dont see the bigger picture.

but thats what I said, people dont always want/need to have their rabbits netured so a free rabbit costs nothing,
From inexperianced owners point of view they just want a rabbit and why would they pay £60 when they can get one for nothing.
Had the rspca had a doe we would most likley of adopted her and been happy to pay the price as I would rather rehome an unwanted pet then buy another from a pet shop/privately but not everyone veiws it that way for some people cost is a big issue and they dont see the bigger picture.

Then education is the way forward :)

Because people don't research. If they did, they'd know that rabbits do need neutering. Ignorance doesn't work as an excuse for long - we have the internet now. I had no idea about rabbits when I got mine and he was still neutered within months because I did the research needed.
People are lazy and petshops play on that, and then idiots make it worse by breeding or treating their pets like toys.

I can't believe someone would get rid of their rabbit just because they're getting a new floor! That's absolutely ridiculous! I didn't get rid of my cat because I bought a new sofa (and he scratted the last one) I just invested in a mini water gun, he soon learned. People are astonishing sometimes...

Im always shocked at how many people are honist about the 'kids got bored' senario :roll: I have a mum at school who is on my FB and she put her 3 (!!) 6 month old does up for sale for £10 becuase they were starting to fight, the children didnt want to go and clean them out in the rain and she thought they would be best of else where :cry: Its so sad that some people arnt comitted to animals!

:( What is wrong with people?! My laminate floor is immaculate, despite all the digging and chewing! Silly woman.

Back