• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the SMELL - litte update 2nd page

Tonya

Alpha Buck
Ok, here I go...My flat smells awful! It is quite old and the pets don't help...I bought two air fresheners, I open the windows daily....I change Chrissy the bunny's wood shavings once per 5-7 days (not often enough maybe?) and Bobby the cat's litter once per 10-12 days (although on the pack of the silicone cat toilet it is written that it should be ok for a month, which is something that I can't imagine). Bobby is not neutered yet, will he smell less once he is? Chrissy provides me with healthy poo and her bum is very clean lately.If you can give me an example of a better cat toilet/bunny floor covering do so! Shoot me with ideas how to fight the smell, or at least how to reduce it!
I love them and I am able to take it, but it is unbearable for sister who lives with me now! and unpleasant for guests:(

Last edited:
If those wood shavings are pine or cedar, they're not good for the bunny. Aspen and hemp are fine. I use newspaper and change it daily for my buns and there's no smell.

For the cat litter, you could use scoopable litter. The pee clumps so you can scoop it out. I have 9 indoor cats and there's no litterpan smell because the litterpans are scooped several times a day. I can't even imagine using non-scoopable litter now. we have been using scoopable for the last several years, before that the smell was bad in my room from the 1 litterpan that 1 cat was going in.

I wouldn't use air fresheners, those can be dangerous to pets and can't be healthy for humans either. They emit fumes. I don't like using any chemical things, I would use some sort of good smelling natural thing like vanilla extract.

Is it Bobby's pee that smells? Yeah, neutered cat's pee smells less.

We change the litter tray every day for the buns. The cat's tray gets done once a week but he's an outdoor cat, if he used it all the time I would do that daily too. I actually find cheap cat litter smells less than the expensive stuff. We use the supermarket cheapy stuff (value or basics range).

If those wood shavings are pine or cedar, they're not good for the bunny. Aspen and hemp are fine. I use newspaper and change it daily for my buns and there's no smell.

For the cat litter, you could use scoopable litter. The pee clumps so you can scoop it out. I have 9 indoor cats and there's no litterpan smell because the litterpans are scooped several times a day. I can't even imagine using non-scoopable litter now. we have been using scoopable for the last several years, before that the smell was bad in my room from the 1 litterpan that 1 cat was going in.

I wouldn't use air fresheners, those can be dangerous to pets and can't be healthy for humans either. They emit fumes. I don't like using any chemical things, I would use some sort of good smelling natural thing like vanilla extract.

Is it Bobby's pee that smells? Yeah, neutered cat's pee smells less.

Excellent advice - can't add anything I'm afraid!

Is she spayed? You might want to check her scent glands as well if she'll let you.

I definitely don't think once a week is often enough. I change my bunnies' trays every other day and never have problems with smell. I just use newspaper and hay.

my rabbits live in a shed and the wet bits of megazorb are removed daily and a full litter tray swap every other day and it doesn't smell at all..... megazorb is great, it doesn't seem to hold smells.

I dont think once a week is often enough - my buns would smell too! I change litter trays every day when using newspaper and hay, I can go two days when using a thick layer of megazorb. Smartbedz litter lasted 4-5 days, but the buns started to eat it so I stopped using it, plus changing a litter tray every 4 days is unhygenic.

Dont use air fresheners! They can cause snuffles.

Definitely not often enough. Every day or every other day for the rabbits and solid mess every day with the cats.
There will probably always be a pet odour, just clean litter and hay, not poo/wee.
Agree about getting rid of the air freshness. Try using slices of lemon around the house instead.

We use newspaper woodshavings and hay and change it once a week and there's no smell, so I don't think it's that.

Just cos y'know, no one listened the first time.:D

I clean my bunny litter trays every 2 or 3 days...any longer than that and I can smell it. I would first start by doing it every 3 days and see if you notice a difference. Also when I change the litter trays (plastic boxes) I spray them with a pet deoderiser/antibacterial spray and then wash them with water and dry with loo roll. Are your litter trays plastic? I would make sure you get them really clean inbetween cleaning them out as well.

I clean my rabbits litter trays everyday. It's not so much the smell, but I just don't want them sitting in their day old poo and wee lol. We leave Poppy's until every other day but she doesn't eat hay, I spot clean hers too.

With the cat (even though she's my brothers...) I remove the weed on litter every day for 2 days, maybe 3 then do a full clean out of it. She has wood based litter pellets. I would do it every day but she isn't my cat.. But then what kind of person would I be if I left her with food in her water and a filthy litter tray :roll: my brother is a lazy :censored: my mom does it when I'm not there.

As mine have query EC/cocodisis both of these I now know reinfect the bunny, ec spores are released from urine and cocodisis oysocite are released from the poo after 24hr so I clean at least once a day. I find if you place a layer of newspaper under hay/straw/other bedding material the whole lot will peel out in one go without leaving any mess stuck and then I just wipe the trays down with domestos. When I had indoor bunnies I used a paper based cat litter for the bunny trays and just took out the dirty bits/topped every day and totally washed and cleaned once a week. With cats I think you need to remove the dirty and top up the litter every day and then fully clean once a week.

I used this cat litter. I haven't found anything similar in another brand though :(
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ligh...r-based-cat-litter-25ltr-by-bio-catolet-15267

ok guys you all got me wrong! Chrisi doesn't have a specific litter tray, she has a cage so-so as huge as the hutches you all have, she's free indoor, but for the night she stays in there. The cage is big in length, but sorta narrow and the litter trays I saw in the shops were huge! So I thought that I won't put that thing in her cage and narrow her walking around area! I can't imagine changing the wood shavings everyday as the thing is so damn big and heavy to move and so difficult to clean! Should I try to find a different, smaller litter tray? The thing they showed me looked more appropriate for a cat than for a bunny! I mean, she could lie down and stretch in that-are litter trays supposed to be that big? Instead I remove the wood shavings from the corner where she pees...not so helpful, though...and once per week , or 5 days I do a wash up with vinegar of all the cage. I may go for twice per week, but moving this entire thing alone everyday seems like a hell....The wood shavings are specifically for buns, no dust, and till now she was fine, I doubt newspaper will absorb smell better..Now I look at megazorb, hers look exactly the same actually. She is spayed, by the way.
And about Bobby - ok, we'll be back to cheap toilet, but I have another question - should I aim for the cement-like one or for wood shavings again? Most often cleaning of the cat litter I can do is twice per day, I work after all, when I was at home I was cleaning it every time he goes, but now it is impossible.
I remember now I saw cat toilets with a net to collect the lumps and closed cat toilets. Any experience with that?
By the way new work is great for now:)nice boss and peers, quite intercultural environment:love:

I'd get a smaller tray to go in, it'll be much easier to change more often. Not sure how big the ones you saw were, but mine is about 58cm x 40cm I think. My buns spend a lot of time in there, eating their hay and pooping - they also lie in it sometimes. You can get small corner ones if you wanted a small one.

Thing is, if the sort of box we use is too small for the cage then reeeeally the cage is too small. You could use a cat tray and change it every day. I always found the corner trays just don't hold enough hay and they just dug it all out.

I used 2 cat litter trays when I had two buns and I use underbed storage boxes now for the 7.

I agree with trying putting lemons cut in half around the house, and the BiCarb if you can put it out of reach of the cat. If the walls of the property are damp at all it will hold smells. Also you might want to have a good check around to make sure they haven't found a hidden corner they are using as a toilet. When I was living with my friend I have a horrible smell in my room, which I couldn't work out. It turned out that the cat had started using a box of my uni paperwork that was under my bed as a second litter tray. no wonder I was like :mrgreen: it was probably 6 weeks before I found the problem.

I used 2 cat litter trays when I had two buns and I use underbed storage boxes now for the 7.

I agree with trying putting lemons cut in half around the house, and the BiCarb if you can put it out of reach of the cat. If the walls of the property are damp at all it will hold smells. Also you might want to have a good check around to make sure they haven't found a hidden corner they are using as a toilet. When I was living with my friend I have a horrible smell in my room, which I couldn't work out. It turned out that the cat had started using a box of my uni paperwork that was under my bed as a second litter tray. no wonder I was like :mrgreen: it was probably 6 weeks before I found the problem.

Hahahaha oh my it happened to me too! Chrissy was peeing in a pile of old sacs under my sister's bed! Damn how it smelled!
Yeah, as I told you, the place is old so I find it hold smells much more than my previous ones.
And well, I bought really the biggest cage in the shop, even if Chrissy uses it only to eat, poo and hide in her little housey in there, and aims at my bed for sleeping and running most of the times! but with all the things in the cage putting a cat litter tray seems to narrow even more her space. I can do it only if I remove something, but I don't want to-she likes her housey, cause it's like a dark corner where she has her private time!I bet she would like to walk a bit too at night.I dunno how it will be if I put the litter tray outside, tough.I think it will confuse her. I think she'll be fine with a small litter tray, she is around 1 kilo 300 grams now=she is a Netherlands dwarf or something like this:)

Back