• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis :-( please help!!!

Hi sorry I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone can help me? My little fluffy bum Peter rabbit who is a mini Rex just over a year old is being treated for mxyi. He's been seeing the vet every other day for his antibiotics (betamox la) and I give him metacam everyday with his food. It was last Saturday the 29th that I noticed his head had become swollen and also his back end so I took him to the vets asap and confirmed to me it was myxi :-( he has had his jab which I was told should last a year but I know nothing is ever 100% so he has reported because I don't want any other bunnies getting it. He looks like he has the chronic one so I'm really worried that he isn't going to make it :-(. I moved him indoors made sure he always has a hot water bottle and put eucalyptus places to help with his breathing he's eating fine and drinking, not as much as I would like tho, he has pre biotic in his water too. His eyes don't seem to be pushing that much but his nose is sticky. It seems to be on the day he's due his anti biotics that's he's bad. I just don't know what to do it breaks my heart to see him like this, and it's seems like everyone is giving up (not the vets). I am back living with my parents now and I was surprised at how they let me bring him in the house but now there getting fed up and telling me I should just put him out of his misery but I just can't do it, I want to fight for him!! But I don't want friction at home :-S. So could anyone please tell me some good news because I really don't know what to do, as Iv heard it can sometimes rake bunnies months to get over this and I don't think my parents are willing to wait but I definatly am! It's not even been a week yet and I just wanna know if anyone has dealt with myxi like this before and can tell me if he sounds like he could make it?
Sorry it's late!
And sorry for the essay!
Hope some one can help me!

Last edited:
The good news is that the fact he has been vaccinated means he has a much higher chance of pulling through. If you use the search function you will find a lot of threads this year about treating myxi and peoples experience of it.
It won't be a quick fix though, probably at least 6 weeks of intensive nursing. It's a horrible disease :( but I wouldn't let him go yet unless he really looks ready to give up.

I hope he pulls through for you

Really sorry you're going through this. Can I just ask, did he have the old vaccine or the new? If it was the new (ie combined with VHD) he has a much better chance. Some non-rabbit savvy vets used to think the old/single myxi vaccine lasted a year, whereas in fact it was six months, so sadly if he had that one his chances are less good. :(

It's promising that your vets think he is doing okay. There are lots of threads here about myxy. So much will depend on what vaccine it was, though.

Really hope he can pull through...

I am so sorry for Peter bunny. When did he have his vaccination? If it was 3 weeks prior to him coming doown with this I believe he stands a very good chance of recovering. It might be long and arduous but it will be worth it . Do everything the vet tells you to do and don't give up hope. We will all be thinking of you here on RU and hoping Peter will pull through. Please keep us informed.

I have had 3 rabbits with myxi over the years and two of those survived - including one who had had the vaccine a year before he contracted myxi (that was in the days when it was advised to give once a year).

He had nodules and a slight wheeze (which is often due to the nose rather than the lungs).

I would NOT give up on him -

keep him warm, use matacam and baytril and something to help the breathing (I used plug in Cal... (Can't recall name) that you get for children's rooms when they ave a cold).

I did not separate from his companion - bringing them both in and keeping warm (VERY important in early stages).

He lived another 9 years after that!!!

Hi Everyone Thankyou so much for the helpful replies, he had his vaccine in late february but the vet told me it was for a year just the single one he had. He's going to see the vets this evening for his antibiotics, im going to see if they will put him on baytril as from what iv heard that seems to have the best results. He's had a bad day today off his food so iv made sure i have everything in if i have to force feed :(. I just hope he pulls through he just seems like he's given up today.

Thanks Again
Peters mummy :) x x x

Oh my gosh, poor Peter.:(

I really hope that he has the strength to come through this.

Fingers, toes and paws crossed for the little darling. xx

I've had 5 myxi buns - 4 were vaccinated - 3 within 6 months

I lost one bun - it was when the disease got on his lungs - all the rest survived - including the unvacs one, who only got a mild case.

Good luck

Hi Everyone Thankyou so much for the helpful replies, he had his vaccine in late february but the vet told me it was for a year just the single one he had. He's going to see the vets this evening for his antibiotics, im going to see if they will put him on baytril as from what iv heard that seems to have the best results. He's had a bad day today off his food so iv made sure i have everything in if i have to force feed :(. I just hope he pulls through he just seems like he's given up today.

Thanks Again
Peters mummy :) x x x

Metacam is also very very important for pain and also for any inflamation.

It can be given by the vet as an injection and then by you at home -

best of luck for you and peter

Peter is still here!!! :) the vet seems to be happy that he's still eating and thinks he has a good chance, but only time will tell. He also said that he would get worse before he got better is that true? He seems to eating ok again, but he is very chesty so I'm going to try some steam with him. If it has got to there chest is there any chance for them? He has metcam by the way he has it every day with his food.

Thankyou all for your advice :) x x x

Peter is still here!!! :) the vet seems to be happy that he's still eating and thinks he has a good chance, but only time will tell. He also said that he would get worse before he got better is that true? He seems to eating ok again, but he is very chesty so I'm going to try some steam with him. If it has got to there chest is there any chance for them? He has metcam by the way he has it every day with his food.

Thankyou all for your advice :) x x x

Great that he's still fighting.... My vet used seprin as well as baytril as she feels it's better for chest infections - may be worth using both. It is a long journey but many buns survive it and hopefully Peter will be one of them. With Drusilla I got an inhaler cup thing from a chemist that I used with boiling water and a drop of olbas oil as an inhalant. It's important to keep their breathing as clear as poss because then they can smell their food which encourages them to eat. I'm assuming Peter's permanently indoors? A steamed up bathroom is good too....

Hi everyone!!! Peter still here but seems to be deteriorating every day I'm really worried. He's eating little bits every now and then, I think it might get to the point were I have to force feed him, is this really fair for him? He is permanently inside at the moment Iv had to move him to my ex partners, which I think might help him as there is a window he can see out of and he seems to like the sun on him. Iv put a steamer on for him and that seems to of helped his breathing. Gonna have a look in town for one of them plug Ins tomorrow. At the moment he does a lot of lying down and cuddling with his hot bot in bed. Is this normal for a bunny with myxi?

Thankyou so much for your help!!!
:) x x x

Back