• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Trixie Shelter - Strong Creosote Smell Question

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
We ordered one of those little square Trixie rabbit shelters to go inside Kenco and Buttercup's kennel to give them somewhere to snuggle in the cold weather.

Its arrived but when it was being assembled it smelled extremely strongly of creosote. :? We've left it out in the fresh air in the garden for a few days with its door open....how long do you think we need to leave it before it'll be ok to go in their kennel?

Creosote was restricted years ago and it can't legally be used in that sort of product anymore. If it smells of creosote I would ask the manufacturer what exactly it's been treated with. You wouldn't want the buns chewing it.

I remember mine was the same, it absolutely stunk for several days after it arrives. I would just give it a good sniff every day and use it whenever the smell has dampened right down. They won't be using actual creosote though so I wouldn't worry about that, personally.

Thanks both. I am glad its not likely to be actual creosote on it, just whatever wood preserver they have used is very strong. I'll leave it outside a while longer though the smell does seem to have dissipated now. I am worried if they chew it though. :(

I ordered it from Amazon but will see if there is a way to contact them to ask what's on it.

Back