• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just want to cry UD post 39 (10/10)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I'm tired and exhausted, which is making this worse, but I don't know what to do.

The Dopeys and Lightning are a trio. Dopey 2 is in the very final stages of heart disease (for those that know how a terminal bunny progresses, she has gotten to the greasy fur stage- so we're looking at a week, tops, I would be thinking- but currently she is totally bright and loving life).

Lightning is super sensitive AND super suspicious.

He showed signs of needing a dental on Saturday, had his dental yesterday, and days medication in between. He now won't come to me, won't eat in front of me, won't do anything other than huddle in front of me. I've had to move them to an area where it's easier to access him if he needs more medication.

He came home and started eating straight away and has been eating fine in front of mum. Now, today, he is just picking at and looks so sad, and also totally still avoiding me. He is totally dosed up to the max on Tramadol and Metacam. BUT, what I don't know is if this is to do with his teeth, or if this is to do with Dopey 2 being very close to the end.

I don't know what to do to help him, but I just want him to feel better, but I don't know if that's feasible. The emergency vets won't do anything else other than what I can do here.

I don't know what to do, or even what I should or, if anything. :(

And, my other dilemma with Dopey 2 is that I've been advised for the last few months to not get her excited so she doesn't over exercise, but we can't help her anymore than she is already being helped. Now she is coming to the end, I really want her to experience what all the other bunnies have (minus Sandy and Roger), which is my big, garden size run. Right now, she is so perky she'd love it, but it could cut her life by days. But it could give her an amazing amount of pleasure right when she needs it the most. Is it cruel to potentially shorten her life to want to give her that amazing time? Is it something I shouldn't do?

Can I cry yet?

Last edited:
Hugs.xxx

If she hasn't got long I would want to let her have some amazing time in the garden. Hope that helps. Feel free to cry.

I'd let her have her time in the run....but that's just me.

Really hope Lightning feels better soon.

Many hugs for you...you certainly need them.
xx

Thanks guys.

Righyly or wrongly I've brought The Dopeys and Lightning into the living room so he can be watched without huge pressure (and once I've gone to bed my parents can keep watching). I've also fed him some baby food- not ideal but he quite liked it and I don't want to stress him more by giving him something he doesn't want.

Thanks for your thoughts on the run, that's how I feel, so thank you.

(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

I agree, let her have a crazy, happy time in the run. Yes it may mean she binkies to the Bridge sooner, but my word she'll be happier when she goes.

Definitely worth it. Let her feel the grass under her feet.

xxx

Awww I'm so sorry for you. Only you know what to do for the best, but I think if she is perky at the moment she would love you for the opportunity of some fun X

Sending huge hugs to you. I too would give her the run time, it would be so lovely to see her so happy, that's what it's all about isn't it x

I would go for run time, too. There is a risk that she may collapse whilst having a great time, but you know she doesn't have long left. Alternatively, would you regret not letting her have that time?

I had regrets with one rabbit who was separated from his partner for the last week of his life as I needed to monitor him after a major op. He hated being inside and they obviously missed each other, but I thought it was the best thing to do at the time. I also had a young cat with major heart problems collapse and die on the doormat as he came in from a romp outside - he loved it outside, and went very quickly. The one I regret is the bunny - and would change it if I could.

I'm sorry Tracy, this must be such a hard thing to watch. :cry:
I can't think of a better way for a bunny to experience what may well be the hastening or end of her time on this earth than to run. I think letting Dopey 2 enjoy the garden is the most selfless and wonderful gift you could give her.
Bless you, the Dopeys and Lightning. Thinking of you all. xx

Thanks guys Vibes for dry weather tomorrow then (and Dopey lasting that long!).

Lighters has an abscess in his jaw.

I can't help but feel exactly this.

'The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!'

I bonded Lighters with the Dopeys for when one Dopey was left, and therefore she would have someone else, but now she is going to likely be left all alone because it's not great for Lighters because he is a nightmare to medicate, and obviously Dopey 2 is going too.

I'm so upset, but now I have to go to work and find out if my job is in jeopardy. What wonderful day! (but at least Lighters is able to eat a pellet slurry himself, that's something!).

I hope the day improves for you somehow. You have still acted well by the Dopeys in bonding them with Lightning, although I can understand it must feel like effort in vain at the moment. :(

Sending hugs, and of course vibes for a dry day tomorrow!

Thanks guys Vibes for dry weather tomorrow then (and Dopey lasting that long!).

Lighters has an abscess in his jaw.

I can't help but feel exactly this.

'The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley, An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain, For promis'd joy!'

I bonded Lighters with the Dopeys for when one Dopey was left, and therefore she would have someone else, but now she is going to likely be left all alone because it's not great for Lighters because he is a nightmare to medicate, and obviously Dopey 2 is going too.

I'm so upset, but now I have to go to work and find out if my job is in jeopardy. What wonderful day! (but at least Lighters is able to eat a pellet slurry himself, that's something!).

Can you inject rather than oral? Would that make medicating easier? I really hope you can find a solution for them all.

I agree with what others have said about letting her enjoy the run. We know our buns only live and think in the moment, so if her last moments are filled with joy then that's a wonderful thing.

I'm so sorry that you're going through such a sad time :cry: (((hugs))) xxx

Back