• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

X rays and combined vacc. at the same time?

MillyAlice

Warren Scout
Jasper's having xrays and an endoscopy tomorrow, I wonder if it is possible to get his combined vaccine at the same time? I've just seen a similar thread with regards to castration, but is it likely to be ok as he's not having surgery? Obviously the choice is with the vet, I just wanted some bunny savvy advice!

It's tricky... He /is/ healthy, the reason he's having the investigation is for persistent sneezing, it's been several months of baytril and no luck, the vet is convinced it's nothing contagious or icky as he is completely healthy and the baytril makes a small difference. They're having a look to see if there's anything stuck up there :shock:

It's tricky... He /is/ healthy, the reason he's having the investigation is for persistent sneezing, it's been several months of baytril and no luck, the vet is convinced it's nothing contagious or icky as he is completely healthy and the baytril makes a small difference. They're having a look to see if there's anything stuck up there :shock:

In that case I personally dont think he should be vaccinated yet. I would not agree to it if he were my Rabbit

Thank you, Jack's-Jane, all I really want to know is what other people would do were it their bun.
BB Mommy, we've just registered here as we moved very recently, she seemed pretty set that it wasn't necessarily anything drugs could help with.

Has he had a swab taken to send to the lab???
He might have a bacteria that is resistant to Baytril but would work with a different antibiotic. If it were my bunny I would rather try that than put them through a procedure.
I would not want to give anaesthetic to a snuffle bunny unless absolutely necessary :shock:

My Poppy was fine in herself apart from chronic sneezing, she would sneeze 30 times in a row then break then do it again, Baytril helped a small amount but not much, she had a swab taken and it came back as something called Pantoea, which is not resistant to Baytril (Enrofloxacin) but it is known that this antibiotic doesn't really kill that bacterium, she needed somthing called Engimycin which is an injectable antibiotic which she had daily for a month, it was slow progress at first but it eventually cleared it. Also my Dexter has Pasturella (again diagnosed through a swab) but he is resistant to Baytril so we use a combination of Flagyl and Septrin with him and also when he is really bad he has penecillin injections.

Some vets don't seem to understand that there are other antibiotics apart from Baytril that can be used in rabbits!!!

Last edited:
Back