• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Bunny Advice

ittim

New Kit
Hi All,

We sadly had to say goodbye to our Rabbit last night. She'd gotten too old and damaged her spine.

In the future we'd like to get another Rabbit. This time we'd like to have a house rabbit.

So I have some questions...

Firstly, we'd like another dwarf lop, however Barley always had problems with her teeth. Partly I guess because she was a fussy eater but also because I guess its a general problem with Rabbits. Are we likely to have these problems again? Is there a similar breed that don't suffer from these problems?

Secondly, We want to ensure we get a Rabbit from a reputable source. Is there a directory of approved breeders?

Thridly, I've seen information suggesting that you can't feed Rabbits veg etc until they are four months old. Would this impact on them taking to it later on? (Barley would never eat Hay and mostly ate Premium Pellets - Along with Mint and some other bits.)

And finally, are ther any tips for having a Rabbit in the home? ie litter training etc?

Many thanks in advance.

I am sorry you had to say goodbye to your rabbit. With regard to your questions, firstly all rabbits can have teeth problems if they don't eat enough hay and /or grass because it is this type of food which keeps their teeth in good order, so rabbits should be eating 80% hay, some dried food and veg/herbs/forage. If a baby rabbit has eaten veg while with its Mother there should be no problem at all giving such a rabbit veg as soon as you take him home. If you aren't sure if a baby has alread y eaten greens then it is best to wait until about 4 months before gradually introducing them. We advise people to get their bunnies from a Rescue but maybe someone will help you with that. Also with House Rabbits.

Many thanks for the replies.

I'd like to get our next bunny from a rescue place but i'm worried that we wouldn't be able to be sure of the health of the rabbit.
Barley suffered all kinds of problems during her life so we'd like to try and limit any potential issues as much as possible.

I presume they're all checked over but I'd imagine you'd have an increased chance of getting a rabbit which has some deficiancies bred into it? Or would I be worrying over nothing.

Seems a bit wrong to be thinking about replacing her already to be honest.

Many thanks for the replies.

I'd like to get our next bunny from a rescue place but i'm worried that we wouldn't be able to be sure of the health of the rabbit.
Barley suffered all kinds of problems during her life so we'd like to try and limit any potential issues as much as possible.

I presume they're all checked over but I'd imagine you'd have an increased chance of getting a rabbit which has some deficiancies bred into it? Or would I be worrying over nothing.

Seems a bit wrong to be thinking about replacing her already to be honest.

A Rescue Rabbit is no more likely to have a health problem than a Rabbit bought from a Breeder. The Rescue Rabbit is likely to be neutered and vaccinated. So a full health check will have taken place.

Rescue buns are vaccinated and spayed/neutered. So less risk of certain cancers and if myxi or VHD is contracted then there is a bigger chance of survival.

Breeders can be sneaky. The health of a rabbit isn't always top of the list with some, it's all profit. They may have been inbreeding their rabbits and a whole host of issues could be hidden until they are older. Like with a dodgy car dealer, they'll tell you what you want to hear.

The cost of a rabbit from a rescue would be much less than a breeder rabbit. Say.. £50 for a single bun that is neutered and vaccinated and they may bond for you. Breeder bun would be individual costs, the actual rabbit, separate housing, vaccinations, neutering, the after care and bonding.

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly look into homing a rescue Rabbit, especially if its a young one.

I think we'd like a mini lop, do they generally make good house rabbits?

Back