• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Combined vaccination and castration at the same time.

lhough20

New Kit
Hi.
We have 2 giant continentals that are approx 12 weeks old. I spoke with the local vets today and they said they could do the vacs and castration all together on both. They would get the combined vac while they're asleep.

£30 for the vac and £45 for the operation. Drop them off at 9am and pick them both up at 3pm.
How does this sound??

Thanks
Lee

Although some vets do offer it, most people wouldn't agree with getting them vaccinated at the same time as they have an op. Rabbits should be as healthy as possible when vaccinated for it to be most effective I believe, so you're best off getting one or the other done, and then the other around 2 weeks later.

Most vets probably only offer this service because they don't think people will come back for the vaccinations.

The best option is to get them vaccinated as soon as possible, leave it two weeks and then get them neutered :)

If the rabbits are vaccinated and neutered 2 weeks later will that be safe considering immunity takes 3 weeks to be effective?

I would not trust a vet who offered this - it sounds as though they do not understand the importance of the bun being able to mount a good immune response.

If they bun does not mount a good immune response then the vaccination will not be as effective and you place the rabbit in danger (and really any money saving is also negated by it being a poor vaccine response and a risky op.).

My advice would be find another vet.

Back