• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO Those Who Have Experienced a Choking Rabbit

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Were they eating at the time of the choke and if so what ?

In the choking incidents I have witnessed the Rabbits were eating pellets (SS and A+P)

Did/does the Rabbit concerned have any other health problems, especially relating to their Respiratory tract (snuffles etc) ?

Or are/were they a Dental Rabbit ?

Yes herge was eating, he was having a+p pellets. No health issues at all. One of the most awful things ever to witness!!!

Yes herge was eating, he was having a+p pellets. No health issues at all. One of the most awful things ever to witness!!!

I no longer feed Hal pellets. He has Rabbit Royale Mix. I seem to recall that most of the chokes were when Rabbits were eating pellets, but I cant be 100% certain, hence this thread.

No choking incidents here luckily, but Bella has NEARLY choked once or twice when eating pellets (coughed and spat them back out basically). I don't remember which brand it was but I think it may have been Oxbow as I used that before switching to SS :? She has no health issues whatsoever, but is a greedy little pig so I think she got a bit too excited.

Last edited:
Yes Django has had about three episodes of choking, each time while eating SS - I now hand feed them one at a time slowly.

He doesn't have any other health issues and his teeth are fine, but he's always been inclined to woolf down his veg/pellets when he eats :roll:

An interesting thought Jane, as I've often wondered that it might be something to do with his breed (as I've never had it happen with any of my other rabbits over the years)... or just him being a fool and getting over excited and greedy.

An interesting thought Jane, as I've often wondered that it might be something to do with his breed (as I've never had it happen with any of my other rabbits over the years)... or just him being a fool and getting over excited and greedy.

Is he the Bun in your Avatar, a Hare ?

Yes, horrific moment! Boris is a belgian hare and very greedy, he wolfs down anything given to him like it will disapear if he's not eaten it in a few seconds!! I used to feed excel but Beano seemed to be getting a slighty mucky bum from them and they stopped selling the non flavoured ones near me and they didn't seem to impressed by the flavoured ones so I changed to SS a couple of weeks ago. Also Boris has just been diagnosed with snuffles.

I bought some SS as I was going to switch from Excel, but I looked at them and thought with hardly any teeth on one side they might be a choking hazard for Scarlet.

The more I think about this the more I feel the shape of the pellets needs to be looked at. I think it might be better for them to be of different shapes and sizes :?

I'd be inclined to agree :?

Is Boris a piggy with his food ? Hal is, always has been. I just think if the pellets were different shapes and sizes it might make Bun less likely to try to cram as many in in one go. They would be harder to pick up en mass if they were all different sizes :?

Is Boris a piggy with his food ? Hal is, always has been. I just think if the pellets were different shapes and sizes it might make Bun less likely to try to cram as many in in one go. They would be harder to pick up en mass if they were all different sizes :?

Yep, very much so!

I think some of the pellets are too small. If I used them I would choose the biggest I could find.

Dolly Boobies choked on A&P natural rabbit pellets the other night and I nearly lost her:shock::shock:
Pellets are now mixed well into the hay so they can't gannet them down so quickly:?
Mine do really well on these, better than on anything else but I feel anxious feeding them:(
I am contemplating soaking them as you would sugar beet pellets for horses and seeing if they will eat it as a mash???

Dolly Boobies is neither a dental nor a snuffle bun, but she is a pig with her food:lol:

Back