• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often are you at the vet's?

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
How often do you have to take your buns to the vet?

I seem to be there about once a week on average, and I am starting to feel a bit embarrassed about it :oops:. I know the surgery think I am the crazy bunny lady :oops:. We seem to have had a really bad patch: 2 of my 4 bunnies have had lots of problems over the past 3 months (dental, snuffles and not eating), so I am forever going back and forth to the surgery with them.

Now I just noticed that Poppy's eye is closed up and the fur around it is wet, so she is off to the vet's later on today :(. I guess I am just unlucky. I always try to tell myself that it is better for me to be overcautious and rush them off to the vet than not cautious enough and have them suffer. When we have a patch like this, I just feel like I must be doing something wrong for them to be poorly so much :(

I'm not sure i should answer that one :lol:

Good luck with Poppy's vet trip x

:lol:, bless you..but you have so many bunnies you must be there every day going by my average :lol:

Thanks, I'm sure her eye was fine this morning, but I just went out and it's all watery and completely closed :(. Maybe I missed it this morning, otherwise it has come on really quickly :?

between the poorly ratties and yuki with her ec A LOT >_<

the reception people are very friendly with me now lol

between the poorly ratties and yuki with her ec A LOT >_<

the reception people are very friendly with me now lol

Same here :oops:. I think they actually recognise my voice when I call up :oops::lol:

I feel like if I changed vets or stopped having bunnies for any reason, that they would have to let a member of staff go because I keep them in business :lol:

I think I'm the crazy bunny lady at our vets too :lol: I do sometimes think that I personally pay all of their wages :lol: better to be safe than sorry! :wave:

It depends. With Mischa we'd go a few months fine and then seem to be there every other week. The other three tend to be ok on the whole, sometimes have to get Meg seen if her snuffles flare up but her's only flared up about once a year.

Me too but actually *touch wood* not in the past couple of months. Recently one of my buns had blood around his eye and I could see something in it i panicked and called the emergency vet out at about 10pm at night. When I got there I said 'it's bad isn't it?' he said no not really...lifted nom noms eyelid up took a tiny wood splinter out with his finger and said 'there you go' :lol: I felt like a right plonker!

Rarely. When you live in a place like this, when you have to go 60-80 miles to get to a vet, you only go if its really neccessary. Cuts, scraps, wounds very rarely get vet treatment, we've taught ourselves to do it. Same with anything that needs bandaging. Eye problems we will wash them out ourselves and even the worst looking problems can clear themselves up without vets.

A vet does come once a month to our village. Today we were with a lumpy hamster, a cat with a wart that had opened and a rabbit for a vaccination. Before that, we last went to the vet 6 weeks before with one of the dogs. Not bad considering we have 15 animals ;)

How often do you have to take your buns to the vet?

I seem to be there about once a week on average, and I am starting to feel a bit embarrassed about it :oops:. I know the surgery think I am the crazy bunny lady :oops:. We seem to have had a really bad patch: 2 of my 4 bunnies have had lots of problems over the past 3 months (dental, snuffles and not eating), so I am forever going back and forth to the surgery with them.

Now I just noticed that Poppy's eye is closed up and the fur around it is wet, so she is off to the vet's later on today :(. I guess I am just unlucky. I always try to tell myself that it is better for me to be overcautious and rush them off to the vet than not cautious enough and have them suffer. When we have a patch like this, I just feel like I must be doing something wrong for them to be poorly so much :(

Big hugs, its very stressful when the buns are ill but you should not be embarrassed. If anything the vets will love you as it means more custom and money.

This year I have been to the vets about 18 times which averages out about twice a month. The worst times are when more than one bun is ill. I felt like a constant yoyo last March/April as both Orla and Bonnie were ill and needed surgery/x rays.
Last week Mona and Donny went to the vet over two consecutive days. £150 spent as a result. Wish I could say it was worth it (well it was for Mona) but Donny died two days later :( I love my vet though, he is a good man, I've known for over 10 years and he really sets my mind at rest. And I know if he can't help, no one can.

Previously I have had good years where no one has been ill and we just had to go twice for boosters. I hope next year will be one of those.

Thanks everyone...I guess it depends on the bunnies, and mine are not very hardy!

Fifbutton, actually thinking about it, last year we had a good year - Bunny and Poppy went for a whole year only needing vaccinations I think. Previous to that, it had been bad, so I suppose it goes in fits and starts like yours.

Someone at the vet's made a passing comment (in jest) about how I am always so worried, and I think I took it to heart, which is silly because I know I'm doing the right thing by the bunnies (I hope). I do wish, for their sakes and mine, that they could be all better though!

Well at one point I was offered a room to rent upstairs. :lol:

Now the vet I use knows Grim really well. His condition is chronic but it varies, well it gets worse. So sometimes I can just speak to her on the phone and she can send me something new to try, which cuts out a few visits. But my vet is now two hours away so sometimes it's detrimental to make Grim travel all that way on the bus.

Back