• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protecting Hutch Legs

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone:wave::wave:

Does anyone know how you can protect the legs on a hutch?

I've got a hutch which is 7 by 2.5 foot with six 8in legs. The legs have started to rot:cry:

The hutch is two years old, is covered with a hutch cover, is on the patio and is next to the wall of my house. Every year I've treated it with cuprinol including the legs.

Hi Everyone:wave::wave:

Does anyone know how you can protect the legs on a hutch?

I've got a hutch which is 7 by 2.5 foot with six 8in legs. The legs have started to rot:cry:

The hutch is two years old, is covered with a hutch cover, is on the patio and is next to the wall of my house. Every year I've treated it with cuprinol including the legs.

How are the legs made? If the end grain is touching the ground then nothing you can do other than cut the rotting part off and treat legs again. Or if you can't cut it, re place the legs and you could cover them in damp proof membrane.

If it's not a heavy hutch you could bolt new legs onto the side of the hutch, one bolt at the top of the hutch and one at the bottom of the hutch. If it's heavy you'll probably want to construct a new support frame, cut off the old legs and then bolt it on top.

Cut off rotton bits and stand each leg on a brick thus raising it above puddles etc.

ensure bricks do not have a dip in the upward facing bit!!

Back