• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thoughts please

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I'm very unsure about what to do with my three. Mini is really starting to crave attention, she waits at the gate quite often for someone to go by and she jumps up on the bed just for a cuddle and settles down with me in bed at night for a fuss. When I went out earlier she was sitting on the bed watching me go with puppy dog eyes.

My Dad is convinced I should get a fourth bunny for her but I don't reeeally want to do this. I'd prefer to try to bond the three so they have more room. I tried about a fortnight ago but Mini wasn't ready for it yet and would lash out at them. They seemed to settle and start getting used to her being around but she didn't like it if they came near her and would stick in her own area. If they came over she'd lunge out at them, they'd lunged back and fighting broke out.

I don't know whether to try again in a few weeks time as she's changed in her demeanour. She's getting more brave and much more 'Mini'. I was thinking of getting out the NIC panels and scrubbing them and setting up two pens downstairs and having them side by side for at LEAST two weeks in which time I can neutralise one of their rooms upstairs (probably my room so I can be there to supervise at night). Then start with small sessions, half an hour a few times, then an hour and take it at their speed.

Or I could wait until our bathroom is sorted (if that EVER happens!) and do sessions in there. But eventually they need to be going in my room when they are put together for good.

Or should I just give up and find a rescue bunny who loves other rabbits and would bond with Mini and then in the future also with Smudge and/or Nutmeg.

At the moment they are having time out on the landing and interacting a little between the gates. It's fine if the lionheads are out there but when Mini's out there Nutmeg gets panicky and if Smudge comes up to her she shoots off and he follows so she goes faster and we end up with the two scrambling around the room.

Anyone wanna bond my bunnies for me?! *sigh*

I'd give it one more try if you really want a trio. If it doesn't work out then you have a fab home for a needy rescue bun. :D

How many times have you tried? I would try twice, I don't think I would try again after that! I'm a scaredy cat!

Is there anyone at all that could bond for you?

So far in this configuration I've only tried once Kath, a couple of weeks ago, so about two weeks after loosing Mischa. I don't really know of many good rescues locally. Not rabbit savvy ones anyway. I think you're both right and I'll give it another go in a few weeks. I'm supposed to be on holiday in January which is why I wanted to get it done earlier but ultimately if I feel I can't leave them I don't HAVE to go.

I wish I didn't have to do this :(

Mischa's other 'child', Marshmallow, Mini's brother, has a huge lump on his jaw and I think it's an abscess. He's also lost a huge amount of weight. So I'm feeling quite emotional this evening. :( he's very much like Mischa in temperament and face shape.

Last edited:
I'd probably go with your second option and try a really slow bond over a few weeks.

Sorry to hear about Marshmallow, hope his abscess can be treated?

Hopefully will get a better idea of a prognosis on Friday.

Am going to give myself a couple of weeks to prep things and then will have them side by side for a couple of weeks. They're gonna be so bored though! Worth it in the end hopefully!

If I still lived in Kent i'd do it for you, I really would :(

I still believe the trio *could* work, if only Meggy would calm down a little - I think getting her used to Mini's scent is not a bad idea, I know sometimes it can cause referred aggression, but with Meggy the way she is, I think slow and steady is worthwhile. It may take months, which I know you'll be aware of, but as you say, would so totally be worth it. More space, friends for Mini, easier for you (and I know that'll make life easier in so many ways!) and your office could be a office!

When I had Meggy in with the lops she used to race round the study, down the landing, round my room and back again :love: I'd love for her to be able to do that again.

I have a plan forming in my head and a possible backup plan too. Meggy was ok with her last time until Mini had a go if they came close, maybe if Mini is more settled it might go better.

Back