• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sneezing bunny...now & then..irritation?

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all,;)

A while ago Arrabella was sneezing loads and kept washing her face, had some damp nose hairs and I was about to take her to the vets when I saw a tiny little thing in her nose - I rubbed my fingers across her nose and a long piece of hay came out - like 6cm maybe...really long and she jerked and hoped away...I couldnt believe it...:shock:

OH and I studied the piece of hay trying to work out if it had snapped and there was still some up there OR if it was all out.
Wel...it seemed to be tapered off so we HOPE its all gone...but ever since that day she has sneezing fits sometimes and rubs her nose...or has a damp nose..

Ive had her checked out by my vet - not my normal one, and they said that IF there was something up her nose still, there would be discharge..and alot of it.

I worry that there is something not right sometimes..she never used to have sneezeing fits or have damp nose... now occasionally she does...from it never happening to now it being something that happens often...:?

I dont know what I can do.....does anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

Is there something else I should be monitoring?

Otherwise she is fine in herself, happy, healthy and sweet!

Oh bless her!

Could the piece of hay have caused some damage inside her nose that is maybe taking a while to heal and still causing her to sneeze?

Hope someone with more knowledge and experience comes along soon.

My Giles sneezes from time to time, massive sneezing fits. It has happened since i rescued him four years ago, and is worst when he gets fresh hay. He has been treated for pasteurella, but its not that, its just "the way he is".

How often does she sneeze? Is it several times a day, or just occasionally?

I would try not to worry about it unless it becomes a regular thing, my Boris has snuffles and when he's at his worst he sneezes almost constantly throughout the day :( It's quite possible that the bit of hay has caused an irritation of some sort.

Angel is allergic to pollen and dust.
I need to try buy hay that's non dusty.
I can always tell as I have allergies to the sane things:)
So when she's sneezing im sneezing.
Her lungs are excellent and there's no discharge.
It may just be she has a wee allergy.

thanks for replying!:)

Arrabella sneezes some days more than others....and yes - occasionalyl when she gets hay -but not everytime...

She never used to sneeze before this incident happened....so Im sure its related.
She has some discharge...mainly clear...but sometimes a little whitish/cream...so I dont thin thats good..its not alot..but if I look really closely I can see. Im sure the one nostril more than the other one too.

Im not sure if there are any checks she can have to help determine if there is any damage or anything I should/could be doing more for her.

Obviously I dont want to make something else worse or cause the problem to worsen but doing undue checks though...:? She is fine otherwise...but its horrible to see her with a runny nose occasionally...

OH saw her smeezing loads this morning...she cam running indoors through our tunnel in the wall and then started sneezing...then she ran outside again and couldnt stop sneezing...then she just sat there...with her eyes half closed...sort of heady....and didnt even come in for any more breakfast or even a bit of carrot...she just ignored OH. OH thinks it might gover her almost aheadache.:( I dont know what to do to help her...we think its the one nostril....its wetish.:(

Pop her back to the vets and see if there's any allergy tablets she could take? And if they could have a look at her nose and double check her lungs.
But the fact she went outside and was sneezing could point to allergies.
:lol: I was actually sneezing loads today too :)

Pop her back to the vets and see if there's any allergy tablets she could take? And if they could have a look at her nose and double check her lungs.
But the fact she went outside and was sneezing could point to allergies.
:lol: I was actually sneezing loads today too :)

Well..she has just been checked over at the vets and her lungs were fine...everything was fine...but they didnt really look up her nose and it wasnt wet at the time...the sneezing is really at odd intervals too...its just when she starts its like she cant stop :(
Are allergy tablets something anyone has given their rabbits? what are they made of?:)

having had a bun with snuffles in the past (darling Barnsley:love:) i was alarmed when Bella started sneezing a couple of months ago, although her nose was dry i was still worried.

i realised it started as the same time i bought Oxbow Timothy hay, i stopped giving it and she stopped sneezing!! she's fine with Alfalfa King Timothy hay just not the Oxbow brand.

having had a bun with snuffles in the past (darling Barnsley:love:) i was alarmed when Bella started sneezing a couple of months ago, although her nose was dry i was still worried.

i realised it started as the same time i bought Oxbow Timothy hay, i stopped giving it and she stopped sneezing!! she's fine with Alfalfa King Timothy hay just not the Oxbow brand.

aaaah bless her! I know some hay makes them sneeze...but not really unless its very very dusty. The other 2 buns dont sneeze with this hay...and bless Arrabella - she never used to sneeze at all...Id never really heard buns sneezing....now since the hay up her nose episode she sneezes...but not necessarily near hay...sometimes just randomly ...just maybe keep an eye on her. thanks for the replies guys!

I'm not sure if piriton or something would work, maybe there's a syrup version.
Best thing to do is talk to the vets :)

thanks! Im keeping an eye on her...she snorts when eating still but has sneezed less the last few days..so yeah! :p

Back