• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit won't use litter tray

jolmbagpuss

Young Bun
One of my rabbits is toilet trained but the other one, he seems to go to the toilet just outside his tray. How can I get him to use the tray?

Are you sure it isn't painful for him to get into the tray?

One of mine done this and turned out he has arthritis, so it was too painful for him to get into the tray.

Vet put him on metacam and suggested a shallower tray, and now all's well :)

What are you putting in the litter tray? Also, with more than one rabbit you sometimes need more than one litter tray - I have two rabbits and two huge litter trays.

Some of my rabbits go so close to the edge of the tray that some toilet lands outside of the tray. I find the bigger the tray the better. Those underbed storage boxes are very good!

I thought Joey did this but it turns out when he does his binky routines he runs in and out of his litter tray and flicks poop out :/ so unless you've seen him in the act you could check he isn't accidently flicking them out

They share a large cat litter tray. The one that uses the tray has been house trained anyway so he is a good bunny. The other one wasn't really properly trained. He is only about a year old so shouldn't be painful for him. He just is a bit stupid I think so doesn't really know where he is supposed to go to the toilet

It might be because the litter tray smells of the other rabbit. I would try getting an even bigger litter tray with high sides so he can't sit outside and munch the hey, he has to go inside :)

I might get another litter tray and see if that works. The are best friends so don't think it would be to do with the smell of the other bun.

Back