• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New addition late last night....

catherine09

Mama Doe
Neighbour from down the road caught me last night as I was walking home - said she had taken a bunny from the lady who ironed her clothes. Kept in appalling conditions in a tiny cage and hadnt eaten for 2 days as owner had 'run out of food' - never had hay as it made her house smell horrible and kids poking it all the time.

Anyway my friend got it a couple of days ago and it seemed he was already in stasis....he went to vets and had an injection and pain meds (I forgot what the injection is they have - maybe metaclop?). Anyway his bum is all matted and he bites (unsurprising considering he has been terrorised by kids).

She cant cope with him, she keeps guinea pigs but has no experience with rabbits, and is terrified of him now he has bitten both her and her friend. She also has two young kids and whilst she has told them not to pick him up they do chase him which isn't good - and even whilst he was in the carrier to come to mine I had to stop one of them poking her fingers into the carry case. She really has done her best with him in the last couple of days though..

Anyway - he hasn't tried to bite me yet - examined his mats, gave him some tempting foods and a heat pad and left him to it last night - checked him a couple of times in the night and he is eating and drinking. I do have a question which I will post in health soon :wave:

Will post some pics later :thumb:

Awww bless him, I hope he comes out of stasis and eats loaaaaaaads of yummies :D

Can't wait to see pics, how is he doing this morning?

Awww bless him, I hope he comes out of stasis and eats loaaaaaaads of yummies :D

Can't wait to see pics, how is he doing this morning?

Went straight for his pellets this morning, still not out of the woods yet in regards to his diet tho...I haven't seen him eat any hay. I don't think he's actually ever had hay so getting him to eat it might be a challenge!!

Went straight for his pellets this morning, still not out of the woods yet in regards to his diet tho...I haven't seen him eat any hay. I don't think he's actually ever had hay so getting him to eat it might be a challenge!!

I seen your post in the health section, hay is probably an alien concept to him, bless him .... is he eating the grass you gave him? Keep tempting him with grass :D you can try redigrass, and alfafa king timothy (all the bags ive ever had have been REALLY green) work him up to hay, bless him, im so glad he's safe now x

Lucky lucky bun! Great story to end to my forum session - back to work now with a smile. So pleased he's found someone that will take care of him!

Yes I'm glad I have him too...whether he will become permanent here is undecided at the moment but even if he doesn't end up staying here I will make sure he gets a brill home (and probably better than I can provide) :) once I can get his diet better he will be getting his vaccs and neuter and then I will really start working on his fear and biting issues (although I haven't seen that side of him yet so I hope the change of circumstance will have a big difference)

aaah poor little bun...breaks my heart - so scared and no food and fear isues...:cry: thank godness that lady took him and has asked for your help...he prob. doesnt know how to eat hay - hows the grass going?

My Archie didnt eat hay either when he came here..he just chewed it to make tunnels but didnt eat it:roll:

he now eats hay like a madman! my bun also only ate muelsi mix - horrible stuff...well..after 2 weeks of slowly mixing in SS - he started to eat it...but he was not impressed! He didnt touch it for ages and I was worried he was hungry.

I also put in hawthorn and aplle branches and leave - he didnt touch them either - he was used to potatoe peelings etc form dinner...well not he goes mad for all thses fresh wild foods...so there is hiope for this little bun...I do think though - that the fact my girl buns ate hay etc realy helped show him it was good yummy food too.

Once he is vacs -etc is there a chance he can be near your buns so he can watch them eat?

aaah poor little bun...breaks my heart - so scared and no food and fear isues...:cry: thank godness that lady took him and has asked for your help...he prob. doesnt know how to eat hay - hows the grass going?

My Archie didnt eat hay either when he came here..he just chewed it to make tunnels but didnt eat it:roll:

he now eats hay like a madman! my bun also only ate muelsi mix - horrible stuff...well..after 2 weeks of slowly mixing in SS - he started to eat it...but he was not impressed! He didnt touch it for ages and I was worried he was hungry.

I also put in hawthorn and aplle branches and leave - he didnt touch them either - he was used to potatoe peelings etc form dinner...well not he goes mad for all thses fresh wild foods...so there is hiope for this little bun...I do think though - that the fact my girl buns ate hay etc realy helped show him it was good yummy food too.

Once he is vacs -etc is there a chance he can be near your buns so he can watch them eat?

He is eating the grass, but I'm slowly running out of fresh grass to pick for him as our lawn is only small!! Ill have to try and go foraging at the weekend or try readigrass. He eats the excel very readily so at least that is getting some fibre in him. I'm hoping that when I get home tonight he will have eaten some of the herbal hay as he did seem interested in it this morning :)

My two buns get referred aggression so really I can't put him near them even when he is vaccinated :(

Here he is - sorry about the quality of pics I didn't want to scare him...

photo-6.jpg

I mixed in some herbs with the hay and he seemed much more interested - I think even he ate a couple of strands but I couldn't see very well :)
photo1-2.jpg

He does like his spring green leaves
photo3-1.jpg

And finally, a picture of his poos next to an example from either Woody or Jessie. You can see how small it is compared, and I wouldn't even say W&J poos are great at the moment either :shock:
photo2-2.jpg

He seems much better tonight - he took a couple of fenugreek crunchies right out of my hand and went straight for the spring green leaf when I put it in (last night he just ran and hid and didn't come out when I put food in). Still hasn't tried to bite me although he did have a good old thump when I first opened the hutch :lol: :thumb:

Poor mite.I think he can sense a bunny person...hence no aggression from him.Hes been to hell and back, by the sounds.Thankyou for taking him on.xx

Oh my god he is adorable :love:

Yes, quite!! Makes me even more glad I've got him as he could have so easily been that 'fluffy cute child's rabbit', and been passed around from family to family like a toy. I think with a less fluffy or less "cute" looking rabbit they tend to appeal to kids less - just my thoughts anyway

Bless you for taking him on Caroline. poor bunny, he can only improve now he's in a loving environment :thumb: keep us posted.

p.s. he looks like a mogwai ;)

Back