• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i or shouldnt i

GiantOreo

Young Bun
Im really confused on what to do :(
I have a giant french lop called oreo whos not really a giant.
Is he just perfect and he is truley my baby.
I have just recently broke my bank and spent sooo much money on
Buying him a wendy house and convirted it into a rabbit house with
Ladder and opening windows with wire behind so he cant get out.

My first intention was to get him this playhouse and a friend.
As i think he would like a friend.
It was all well and good untill my mother in law got told by a vet how
Her sister had two rabbits that loved each other and after 4 years
They had a big fight and now one had only one eye
. She did say thats worst case.
BUT now my mother in law is sooo against getting another rabbit for oreo.
And is making my OH not want one either.
There saying itll cause more hassel then its worth.

Oreo does look happy.
He hates being picked up but will sit on your lap if he wants too anf
If he sees u in the guarden he will follow u everywhere.
Also he always licks me ?!
He has free range of guarden and i have just brought him a sand pit
That he loves and he doesnt dig anywhere apart from the sand pit.
:)

But should i or shouldnt i get another rabbit.
I really dont no what to do.

My mum said he looks like that leader from water ship down...
Oreo will only do things on his term.
He gets mad when hes put back in hos cage.
I just dunno if he would want to share everthing..

Thank u for any in put.

Sorry if this message is long as it makea no sence but its 2am and im
Tierd but cant sleep due to worrying.

Xx

Were the female rabbits that had a massive fight neutered? Intact females can be very hormonal which can lead to fighting. I think a rabbit is always better off with another rabbit for a friend but both have to be neutered for the best chance of them getting on. I would suggest you neuter your rabbit and then approach a local rescue to find him a friend. rescues will help with bonding and also help to choose a rabbit that gets on with your rabbit.

This is a big problem with people and rabbits. Someone has a bad experience and judges all rabbits to be the same, unfortunately. This results in lots of lonely bunnies. Well I can assure you that most rabbit pairs are very happy for the rest of their lives unless one dies of course. To prove it I have 16 happy pairs, some having been together for years now. So Oreo needs company, the winter is coming on when he will be spending around 16 hours every niight all alone. Let us know what you decide as you may need help with bonding as you must do it in the correct way.

Thank you.

Oreo is nutured. I had him done about 16 weeks ago now.
I have rang loads of rescues and they either say they have no rabbits
Or dont help do bonding....

I would idealy like somewhere where theyll take oreo and do it as i have no idea
What im doing.

I feel so sorry for him. Now it ia getting dark early hes in his cage all lonley.

Im gonn ring around a few more places and see if i can get any helo.
Fingures crossed i do.

And yes they where nutured. The girls that had a fight.
Ive read so many horror storys where ghey fighy im just scared on what to do now
Xx

sometimes girls pairs will not get along. thats why people say its best to have a male/female pair. all the best!:wave:

For that one experience you'll see pretty much everyone on here has bonded rabbits. I can understand your worry but rabbits need companionship of their own kind. I would try and find a rescue who can provide you with a suitable female and help with the bonding :)

Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone knows of a rescue nearby that would bond them for you. When the 2 girls fought, had one been to the vets around that time?

The two girl rabbits that had a fight where my vets.
They where both spayed.

I wish my vet never said anything to my mother in law as now
Shes all scared and paniking that ill get another one.
She really doesnt want me to. She has also convinced my OH tbats its
A bad idea.

I live in buckinghamshire.

I keep thinking if i try bond him once and it doesny work
Then at least ive tried ?

I just want the besy for oreo.
Like today i was lyinh down next to him
And he would not stop licking my nose and face and arm and legs!
Then he kept skipping and comming back for a cuddle.

Thanks for all the help
Xx

Well to that one falling out, how many people on here can say their rabbits lived happily together? It will outnumber the fallouts. My two were together for 8/9 years befor my girl died and they were close. There's always a risk, but then you can say that about anything.

I can honestly say that getting a second bunny was the best decision I've ever made. Boris was happy on his own, but dreadfully lonely, and as a result (I think) rather destructive. He's so much happier and calmer now that he has a friend. They've been happily bonded for over a year now with no problems, my girl isn't even spayed (although this is unusual, the general rule is that they both should be neutered). I would advise you to not listen to what anyone else says and go for it! there must be a rescue near you that can help. Maybe even someone on this forum :)

Back