• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit has been badly wounded ....

cara

Alpha Buck
I have two rabbits - male and female. Their relationship is to be honest, fragile but they have mostly got on pretty well.

More recently, they have had some rather nasty spats. Not sure if it is food related, terriorial or a pecking order issue. I managed to intervene in a really nasty fight a few days ago, but since then, they seem to have got on okay.

Today, however, Rosie is limping. This coincided with a cat in the garden, but I suspect that may be a red herring. She has a dreadful wound on her leg which has to be operated on tomorrow.

The wound is older than today - It has been well hidden under her fur and has only become apparent with her limp. It is also infected.

Now, I do not know whether it was the cat on another day (but don't think so), Teddy Bear, or if she has caught herself somewhere in the garden.

Teddy Bear also has a couple of superficial (sp?) wounds.

Aside from the treatment worry, I am concerned about whether they are able to live together safely and whether they will be friends. I think the bond will break anyway, whilst she recovers.

Any advice very greatly received. I SOOOO want them to be able to live happily together and do not know how I would be able to accommodate the rabbits separately and maintain their quality of life as they both spend the day in the garden. Not a perfect science rabbit relationships, I know :(

Firstly I am sorry to hear about Rosie's injury, the good thing is you noticed and she is getting treatment, bless her :love:

Are they both neutered? If not I suspect that may play a large part in any fighting.

When were they bonded? I only ask because if they've been together for a good while with no issues and only suddenly started 'fighting' then there may be an underlying health issue somewhere :?

Otherwise I think you may have to separate them and start bonding completely from scratch again :(

I hope Rosie recovers well :thumb:

As you will need to separate for recovery due to the risk of injury from fighting I would separate, neuter if they aren't already and bond from scratch again as suggested above.

Rosie's operation has gone well and she is now recovering.

Both rabbits are spayed/neutered and they have been together since Easter. I have had Rosie for about 8-10 years and rescued Teddy Bear when her partner died.

I suspect I will have to bond again when she is well ... groan! Just hoping they will be friends again ...

Thanks for your replies.

Cara

aww glad shes okay, yh i would wait untill she is fully recoverd, it has to be fully recoverd!

then start bonding literally from day 1!!

Back