• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

They wont spay rosey :o(

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Im so so worried :cry:

The vet rang me to say that they arnt happy spaying rosey today...she has lost a fair bit of weight since the last time she had a check up (hard to tell as she has got fluffy...) :( Just the same as they said about Lily...looks healthy, no problems with her teeth, eating like a trooper, drinking plenty but just too skinny :(

Obviously with loosing Lily at the weekend i feel on complete pins and am petrified that there is something really wrong :( they have taken bloods from her for liver and kidney function but they need to sent them off so im going to pick her up this afternoon and will wait for the results.

The vet was brilliant at trying tp put my mind at rest that it wasnt something I was doing wrong and she said that she is 100% positivly sure its not anything to do with the way im looking after them but im feeling like a pretty awful owner at the moment :(

Iv googled untill im blue in the face and i cant stop stressing about what it might be! :(

It may be nothing, please try not to worry too much. Like you say she eats well. Maybe they will recommend a few more fattening foods after the tests just to plump her up a bit then she can be spayed. Better to be skinny than obese.

I've just got Doughnut back from a bunnery and the guy showed me an obese rabbit there who can't clean her bum. She was a bonded pair but the other one died recently of flystrike as it couldnt' clean it's bum either. It was sad, waddling around. He was cleaning it every day, what life is that!

I'd give the Vet a call and ask about the possibility of Coccidiosis. The Vet may say that it cant be if no diarrhoea, BUT it could be *Hepatic* coccidiosis and this can initially present with just unexplained weightloss.

Oh goodness, you must be so worried :(

Heres hoping its just a horrible coincidence. Definatly mention Hepatic Coccidiosis to them, Jane knows her stuff and its worth exploring every possibility.

Sending loads of vibes xxx

The last checkup wasn't in winter was it? Lilly seems to burn off all her winter fat by the middle of summer.

Well I collected her and she seems happy as normal...she had eaten her way through her bags of tricks I had taken with her (frsh herbs, crunchies, a few veggie treats and the huge handful of hay they had given her too)...

They have done some tests and we are awaiting the results of those...the bill for today alone was £340!! :shock: Thank goodness for insurance! :thumb: Now whatever they come back with I know we can afford to deal with!!

The vet was in surgery when i picked rosey up last night as I was late getting there (broken down car on a single carriageway :roll: ) but I have spoken to her this morning about the hepatic coccidiosis and she said it was something she was thinking of but wanted the blood results back to get a proper picture...im really hoping they come through today as Im so worried!! :cry:

Back