• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend for my 8 year old bun or not??

Lorraine

Young Bun
Hi,
I originally had 4 bunnies, 2 of which were rescue ones, and they were in 2 sets of 2. I have now ended up with one on her own, and have a dilemma. As she is now 8 years old, do I still try and find her a partner, as I know how much happier they are in pairs? I don't know how many years she has left in her, and don't want to keep ending up with one though. I did ask a local rescue if they had any old bunnies, but theirs were all youngsters.

She is not easy to bond with another rabbit, but I have managed it, and has been very unlucky already in her past, as she has had 2 partners, both of which died before her.

Advise please!!

Its a difficult one as you may always end up with one unless they die at similar times!

I suppose it depends if you are going to carry on getting more bunnies or not. If you are then get another one to bond with her (I'm sure one of the rescues on here has an older rabbit for adoption). Another option could be to try to bond her with your other two (unless they hate each other of course!)

We have one gpig now as his brother died last year but I didnt get another one as I don't want anymore g pigs (not that I dont love them but I feel I have enough with my bunnies and cats and not enough time for them all!).

Hi,
I originally had 4 bunnies, 2 of which were rescue ones, and they were in 2 sets of 2. I have now ended up with one on her own, and have a dilemma. As she is now 8 years old, do I still try and find her a partner, as I know how much happier they are in pairs? I don't know how many years she has left in her, and don't want to keep ending up with one though. I did ask a local rescue if they had any old bunnies, but theirs were all youngsters.

She is not easy to bond with another rabbit, but I have managed it, and has been very unlucky already in her past, as she has had 2 partners, both of which died before her.

Advise please!!

It's a tricky one. I would say, based on her age and the fact she's tricky to bond to just leave her as she is. But having said that she could live for another 4 years or so wouldn't be fair on her to stay alone for that long.

There are rescues around the country who rehome nationally, so you may have more luck finding a rabbit closer to her age that way. Rescues can also help with bonding too and your bunny may bond easier away from home.

How is she with people? Is she happy with the company of humans? Flora recently lost her brother aged nine and a half and I wasn't going to pair her up again, for exactly the same reasons you quoted. However, she is most definitely NOT a people bun - she puts up with me because I feed her and I keep her clean :roll::lol: but she is happiest in the company of other bunnies. I brought her indoors initially thinking I could convert her to liking people but it soon became clear that she hated being indoors and was only tolerating me. I paired her up with a 5 year old boy who I hope to bond into a threesome with my other two girls when Flora eventually passes (the girls hate Flora which is why I didn't attempt bonding them with her).

Back