• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you...

Rabbits should only smell bad if they have a health problem. (or theyre kept in filthy conditions) Brian once got his bum caked in poo when he was on meds so yes, I had to clean it for him.

Rabbits should only smell bad if they have a health problem. (or theyre kept in filthy conditions) Brian once got his bum caked in poo when he was on meds so yes, I had to clean it for him.

They tend to lay in their litter box, I'm trying to break them of it. But they're healthy and I sweep/vacuum their area every day. I will go give them a bath then. They're going to hate me... lol

They tend to lay in their litter box, I'm trying to break them of it. But they're healthy and I sweep/vacuum their area every day. I will go give them a bath then. They're going to hate me... lol

It's not generally recommended if they dont need it, they should be able to keep themselves clean if their house is clean enough.
A bath is really stressful for them. Mine lie in their litter boxes all day but don't get dirty?

It's not generally recommended if they dont need it, they should be able to keep themselves clean if their house is clean enough.
A bath is really stressful for them. Mine lie in their litter boxes all day but don't get dirty?

They're not dirty, their fur is clean and everything, they just smell a bit. A lot like their hay. It's Bermuda so it's a strong scented hay.

They're not dirty, their fur is clean and everything, .

Then they do not need washing.

Why would you wash a rabbit because they smelled like hay? Please do not wash them for this reason. If they are covered in poo or wee, yes. But they also need a vet visit in that case to find the cause.

Change your hay if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Why would you wash a rabbit because they smelled like hay? Please do not wash them for this reason. If they are covered in poo or wee, yes. But they also need a vet visit in that case to find the cause.

Change your hay if you don't like it.

Like I said, they aren't dirty. I won't wash them then.

They're not dirty, their fur is clean and everything, they just smell a bit. A lot like their hay. It's Bermuda so it's a strong scented hay.

If they are not dirty and only smell like their hay because they lay in their hay then giving them a bath will not solve anything. They will go right back to smelling like their hay maybe even stronger if they lay in the hay while still damp. A bath will most likely really stress them especially since they are still getting use to being away from their mum and their new surroundings. Julie smells like her hay but I like the smell. It reminds me of fresh outdoors.

If they are not dirty and only smell like their hay because they lay in their hay then giving them a bath will not solve anything. They will go right back to smelling like their hay maybe even stronger if they lay in the hay while still damp. A bath will most likely really stress them especially since they are still getting use to being away from their mum and their new surroundings. Julie smells like her hay but I like the smell. It reminds me of fresh outdoors.

Okay, thanks everyone! I'll hold off on the bath unless they really need it.

Mm I love the hay smell on my bunnies. Definitely don't bath them if they're not dirty.
Sniff between their ears... It's just so good!

You can buy spray especially for if their fur smells. Pets at home was selling it. I only ever give mine a bath if they have got a messy bum cause they ate something they shouldnt.

touch wood but only ever had it once with Watson.

I never bath my Inca and she is prone to being smelly at times as she gets urine infections. I just spot clean her where she is wet and dry her off with a soft towel. No need to bath a bunny who is not ill.

I wouldn't use any sprays on my buns either.

If you keep their accommodation clean, they shouldn't have the chance to smell bad. Mine have never had a bath :wave::wave:

You can buy spray especially for if their fur smells. Pets at home was selling it. I only ever give mine a bath if they have got a messy bum cause they ate something they shouldnt.

touch wood but only ever had it once with Watson.

I read that as Torchwood not touch wood... I've been watching too much Neflix... Got the Doctor and Captain Jack on the mind...

My bunnies all smell different :)
Angel kinda smells like dove
Bailey like cookie dough
Parsley like a baby
And I havent smelled willow yet.

My friend lovessss the smell of Parsley, she sits for agessss and just smells him.

Also I love that when I walk in my front door all I can smell is hay :)

My fav smell.

( this is probably the only place i can talk about smelling my bunnies and not be considered mad!)

Back