• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 or 4 ?

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
we have a 4yrold male whose just been castrated, we also have a 7yrold male whose castrated and who just lost his life long partner, last week we adopted two bunnys, the idea was to adopt a adult female to go with our 4yrold male but she came with baby so we are going to put 4yrold and mum together then hopefully 7yrold and baby together, but my question is as they all know each other and get along ok could they live in hutches in pairs then spend the day hoping around the garden together as a group of 4,,, how likley is it the females will get teritorial

Are the girls spayed? You should really get them done to prevent territorial behaviour and uterine cancer etc
If you are going to see if they will go in the garden together as a four then I would just looking at bonding them as a group of 4 to begin with, but then I do like my groups :)

How old is the Baby and are you not going to get them spayed? Are you sure the baby is a girl? I doubt having them in separate hutches and letting them out together would work.

baby is just 8 weeks old, mum is 2yrs old, wasnt going to get them spayed as boy is spayed for mum to go with and baby was going to be an indoor bunny but to be honest I think rabbits belong outside and would rather she lived outside with a friend then live indoors for her sake. to bring her in now would mean she would be to hot aswell I think as all my buns seem to be getting their winter coats.
we have a area we can section off so if need be we can let them have the run of the garden but seperatly as pairs , I just wonded if four would work,, I dont have a big enough hutch and run for all four to live together comfortably.

They all need to be spayed prior to bonding. It's hard enough when they're in tact! ;)

You can join two hutches together fairly easily, and this would probs be easier than having two separate setups.

If you don't have the girls spayed they have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by time they are 5. This will reduce territorial behaviour and the chances of fights. I have bonded babies before and they've been ok until I had them spayed at six months but if you do that you need to be prepared to separate her if she turns into a moody hormonal teenager before she is old enough to spay.

Back