• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lilys post mortem results...

megansmummy

Mama Doe
I took Lily to the vets this morning for her to be creamted and they offered to do a PM to see if there was any obvious reasons for her death.

It was utterly inconclusive and there was nothing obvious at all which im relieved about. She said that Lilys tummy had food in to signify that she had bee eating nicely..there was waste matter formed so no blockage and her bladder was nicely full so no problem there either...she went into a lot of detail about things but her conclusion was that she felt that despite her great diet and appitite she was a failure to thrive bun...she said interally there was litterally no fat at all...she was skin and bones which I knew anyway...nothing we tried helped her put on weight which was why she hadnt been spayed as she just wasnt heavy enough for it to be safe :(

I feel better knowing that it wasnt me missing something obvious like bloat/stasis, there were no broken bones so no accident in the hutch etc...

However i still fell really very very sad :cry:

Rosey is going in to be spayed tomorow morning and im petrified that something will go wrong or I will miss something obvious...but i wanted her spayed ASAP so that we can get her bonded...she looks so lonley in her hutch by herself :( I have asked that they keep her in for 24 hours so that they can make sure she has eaten something etc before coming home...I feel really worried about having a recovering bun at home when iv just lost lovely lily :(

Glad you feel better for having some answers. Sounds as if she wasn't meant to stay for long bless her. As for Rosey, spaying is the right thing to do so try not to worry.

It is a difficult decision to have her spayed after losing a bun but it is the right thing and it is a good precaution to make sure that she is kept in so they can monitor her (it will give you peace of mind). Just make sure you have lots of herbs etc to tempt her when she come home and also some critical care (mine normally take this willingly from the syringe once the GA wears off a bit).

Sending Rosie lots of vibes for tomorrow xx

Maybe the Vet could run a pre op' blood profile to check Rosey's Liver and Kidney function ?

I am so sorry for what happened to Lily :cry:

Thanks Jane...poppy and daisy had this done before their spays...without sounding daft what does it check for?

Really it is just a basic profile of kidney and liver function. Abnormalities would flag up a potential problem and your Vet may want to postpone the spay to carry out further investigations.

Really it is just a basic profile of kidney and liver function. Abnormalities would flag up a potential problem and your Vet may want to postpone the spay to carry out further investigations.

ok great thank you...I will make sure they do...being from pressumably the same litter as lily its playing on my mind that something might be wrong with rosey too :(

ok great thank you...I will make sure they do...being from pressumably the same litter as lily its playing on my mind that something might be wrong with rosey too :(

I understand your fears, but Lily may 'just' have been the runt of the litter and consequently had internal organ problems. Often it is the Kidneys that are under-developed in runts.

Selfishly this makes me concerned abit for my Timmy. Hes tiny aswell, despite being nearly 4, and struggles to keep weight on. Ive always wondered if there was something wrong internally, or whether its just a case of genetics (he could have Nethie in him?)

Im so sorry again Megansmummy :cry: Atleast you know for sure that its nothing yoi could have prevented, I hope that gives you some peace xxxxx

Back